News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Jonathan's Layout #3

Started by jonathan, September 29, 2019, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Tulle!  What a Scrabble word.  Couldn't remember how to spell it to save my life.  Thanks! There's a "JoAnn" Fabrics not far.  Been there more than once for "train" stuff.  I've had that mesh for quite a while.  The hard part was using CA to attach it to the wire.  Stuff did not want to stick for a long time.

Thanks gents.  Cheers.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

OK.

Outta ground cover.

Outta 50's vehicles.

Need backdrops for the skyboards.

So, I'm at a good stopping point for photos.

Started with 30 shots and chopped it down to a dozen that show the main areas of focus:

DSC_0553 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0554_02 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0555_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0557_02 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0559_02 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0562 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0563 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0565 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0567_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0569_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0570 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0572 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Regards,

Jonathan

Ken Huck

Jon, you just keep hammering away and it keeps getting better.

I do have a question though, how does that coaling tower get filled ?

Thanks again for all the pictures.

Ken

jonathan

Thanks, Ken.

There is a coal dump shed in the corner behind the tower. There's a hopper unloading, at this very moment. I know the shed should be a bit closer.  You'll just have to imagine an underground conveyance of some sort.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Ken Huck

I just KNEW it had to be something like that !  ;)

jonathan

Staying away from the layout right now.  Taking on a few projects sitting on the bench.

I have a spot for another signal bridge on the mainline.  NJ International, who make various signals for the B&O, have been sold out of most of their equipment for a while now. Wondering if they're cleaning out inventory and shutting down... getting that vibe.

I managed to get a hold of a few Oregon Press signal heads, but none of their corresponding LEDs.  However, I did find some 2mm LEDs that may do the trick.  Got 100 multicolor LEDs, and resistors for approx. $13 including shipping... not bad.

They required some trimming to fit into the signal heads:

DSC_0581 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I tested 'em after trimming, so far so good.

After tinning, I manipulated the leads so the positive leads will be a common wire.  The negative leads with have individual wires with resistors mounted under the layout.  The whole mess looks like this:

DSC_0583_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I put a 2-56 nut under the positive leads.  Hoping I can manipulate a drop of solder down into the middle without melting the whole thing.

From the front:

DSC_0584 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

The blue LEDS will not be lit or wired.  They are there to fill in the hole, nothing more.

This is an old Bachmann double-track signal bridge I pre-wired for this project:

DSC_0585 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Now the hard part begins.  It will require some pretty precise wire-cutting and soldering to get the whole shebang to work.  

Will post the final outcome when completed.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

More progress on the signal bridge:

This may have been the most difficult part of the build, as all the parts are very small, and I had to get in and just touch the leads with a soldering iron, without melting the signal head:

DSC_0586 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Then it was time to trim the excess and connect the leads to the pre-wired bridge:

DSC_0587 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I tested every step of the way. Don't want to lose a connection from this point on, as it gets pretty complicated. Difficult to see because of the backlighting, but I've got all three colors lit:

DSC_0588 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0589 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Tested again, as I attached the signals to the bridge. Here the yellow ones are lit:

DSC_0590 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

A few final shots:

I wired this bridge for 4 signal heads.  I have 3. I left some wires tucked in the bridge, if/when I find another b&o signal head.

Also, I had a tough time pulling the extra wire backwards through my wiring tubes.  So, I did the best I could with some black paint to hide wire as much as possible.  Will post again, once I have installed the bridge.

DSC_0591_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0594_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0595 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Regards,

Jonathan

Ken Huck

Nice work Jon !  Makes me glad that my layout takes place in an era and a location
where electricity hasn't been installed.  The residents believe it's trickery and witchcraft.  ;)

Thanks for the pics.

Ken

jward

Jonathan, did you know Oregon Rail also makes round circuit boards that fit in the back of those signals, that greatly simplify the task of wiring them? They work for both B&O and PRR style position light signals.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

Thanks, Ken and Jward.

I did not know that about Oregon Rail.  I thought they were one of those defunct companies, whose leftover pieces still showed up on eBay from time-to-time.  I will look them up.  Thanks for that.

Regards,

Jonathan

Grumpy468

Hey Jonathan. Great to be back.
We Are What Your Mother Warned you about.

Terry Toenges

Good to see all the folks wandering back in.
Feel like a Mogul.

Irbricksceo

Dang straight! I found myself in need of some information I remembered Jonathan having shared some time ago about working with brass, and was surprised to see the site long down, had worried about the loss of so much information!
Modeling NYC in N

bbmiroku

I'm so glad this forum is back on its feet.

RAM

what are the blue lights for?