News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

F7 Headlight not working DCC

Started by Mijaat, November 21, 2019, 11:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mijaat

Hello,
I'm very new to DCC. Just got my first decoder. (digitrax)
I've installed a digitrax chip into a Bachmann F7. When I did this the headlight stopped working. (it worked before on DC)
I'm not sure if I need to connect one of the 2 unused wires or what. I've pressed f0 several times leaving it for a few minutes on each setting, my other loco takes a couple of seconds before the light turns on.
I don't see any loose or disconnected wires.
I'd post a picture but I can't get a file small enough to load.

Thanks

bapguy

Was it a decoder with an 8 pin connector? Did you line up the pins correctly?  What decoder? Try the head light in both directions.     Joe

jonathan

Yep. The first decoder I installed... did it backwards. Loco would run but no headlight. Try flipping the decoder around.

Regards,

Jonathan

Mijaat

I flipped the decoder and it ran backwards.  It is an 8 pin and only has the forward headlight.

bapguy

The orange wire is pin 1. The socket should have a 1 or some kind of mark to indicate where pin 1 goes. If the head light comes on, but loco runs backwards, CV29 can correct this.
CV29 calculater:    http://www.dccguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/CV29.jpg

Joe

Mijaat

The headlight doesn't come on in either direction. And I have confirmed that the orange wire is in slot 1.

Flare

Is the headlight a bulb or LED?

If LED it's possible the new decoder put out too much voltage and fried it.

Try giving the socket's blue and white pins 1.5 volts from a battery with no decoder installed, and the positive side touching the blue wire.

bapguy

It should be an LED. Is it wires to the PCB board or are the wires held on by plastic clips? If clips, remove the 2 holding the wires on to make sure the wires are contacting the tab. Make note of where the wires go. LED's are polarity sensitive.     Joe