News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum H16-44 gear ratio

Started by sswcharlie, December 18, 2019, 01:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sswcharlie

Hi

What options do I have for a HO    H16--44  to reduce the gear ratio and increase traction, for a specific gradient on my layout, about 3%.

Is there a lower ratio gear set available, or complete   trucks with gears  off another model.   Recommendations ??
Is there somewhere that lists gear ratios on different models ?

Thankyou

jonathan

Well...

I have two of these locos.  Both pull pretty well compared to most diesels, in my experience.

First, when looking for better traction, the first choice is always adding weight.  It is safer for the locomotive's motor and gears. There is very little room, if any, to add weight to the H16-44.  The frame is all metal and nearly fills every inch of the locomotive shell.  You might be able to add some weight, IF you are willing to part with the light board on top of the frame.  Then you'll have to be careful about shorting out the split frame.  Dunno about that option.

Next best option is to get some "Bullfrog Snot". Then add the goo to just one driver wheel, according to instructions. This will increase traction, but you will lose current pick up on one drive wheel.  Should be okay with all-wheel pick up on this model.

I would not begin to tinker with the gears on these models. There are too many of them.  It would be very, very difficult, if not impossible, to find and match the right size gears. 

It would be cheaper, and easier to pick up another H16-44 on fleabay or the like. The non-Spectrum model is identical to the Spectrum model.  If you're trying to pull a long train up a 3% grade, this would make more sense, and be more prototypical, I think.

Just my two cents.  For what it's worth...

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

What Jonathan said. Do like the prototype, if one diesel doesn't have enough power for a grade, use two...

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.