News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dimensions of HO loco's

Started by Obelix, December 25, 2019, 11:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obelix

Where can one find the actual length of Bachmann locos?

RAM

Obelix

Any, to see if they fit like on a turntable.

Terry Toenges

Turntables come in different sizes.
Feel like a Mogul.

Obelix

It would be helpful in layout planing.
Looking at the answers so far, I assume there is no Bachmann list with this information.
Thank you for all reply's.

Terry Toenges

I know HO Thomas is 4" long. 4 1/4" with the coupler. I made up a list of lengths of my On30 locos but that doesn't help you.
Feel like a Mogul.

WoundedBear

Look up the length of the real locomotive on the web, then divide by 87.  ;D

Sid

Trainman203

If you ask for data on a specific engine, someone will measure theirs and tell you.

This thread of indeterminacy somehow reminds me of one I think I remember from a long time ago, which basically said:  "my train won't run.  What's wrong with it?"

Decide the biggest engine you'll ever run, and then ask.

jward

using the dimensions of the Atlas turntable, the bridge track is 9" long. That works out to about 66 feet in HO scale. With diesel locomotives, that means any 4 axle locomotive will fit. Many 6 axle locomotives will also fit. They don't have to measure less than 9" overall, only the wheelbase must be less than 9" So given those dimensions, the SD45, and E7 will fit. The Dash 8s are a maybe, and the Es44AC and SD70ACe are doubtful. With steam locomotives, you'd be restricted to the smaller ones like the 0-6-0 and 2-6-0.

Measuring with Anyrail, it appears the bridge track on the Bachmann turntable is 10" which means you can add the Dash 8s to the list above, and possibly the Es44AC and SD70ACe. The larger bridge might be able to handle a decapod or small mikado.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

The Bachmann bridge track is indeed 10". I just measured mine.
Feel like a Mogul.