News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-0 “whirring “noise

Started by Pjh, March 04, 2020, 12:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pjh

I have a few of the 2-8-0 consolidations. I have two that don't run silently. The only way I can describe them is that when they run they make like a whirring noise . I have not done a thing to the nylon gears or belt. Just very annoying to hear this  noise. It seems to get louder when  going around the curves and also under load.
I have tried lubricating with grease, but still no go .

Words of wisdom will be appreciated

jonathan

Pj:

Sounds mysterious.

There is another possibility besides the motor/belt.

Sometimes the pick up brushes can produce a resonance... akin to a high-pitched whir, or even a singing type of noise.  (I imagine a tuning fork type of thing here) I have noticed this on a tender or two I have.  I solve it by adding a bit of conductalube where the tender brushes touch the axles. I suppose this could also occur where the loco brushes touch the back of the drive wheels.

The lubrication is a temporary fix.  Once it dries out, the singing returns and more lube is required.

Another thought --  Sometimes you get a strange noise if the drive belt has developed a split in the rubber portion of the belt.  The belt is made of two materials; rubber on the outside and some sort of plastic for the cog portion on the inside.  If the belt is split, the only remedy is a new belt. 

Just a couple of ideas for you.

Regards,

Jonathan

Pjh

Thanks Jonathan. I will strip it again and go through with a keen eye.

Ton N

Did you lubricate the motor bearings?

Ton

Pjh

yes I did. Didny make any difference.

rich1998

Could it be driver pickups? I remember Yampa Bob p[posting many issues about the 2-8-0 some years ago for folks here.
Someone posted a photo of the driver pickups with metal filings wrapped around the pickups. I lost the page.
Just a guess.

Rich