News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Relocation of headlight on 2-6-0

Started by Barry Karlberg, April 26, 2020, 11:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Karlberg

I would like to reposition the headlight on my 2-6-0 from above the smokebox to the center of the smokebox front. Has anyone of you done this and how difficult is it to do?

Thanks,

Barry

Trainman203

Bachmann's Modern Baldwin  4-4-0 had an alternate smokebox front with center headlight, along with other alternate detail parts.  This was part of the old Spectrum thinking which does not apply to "standard" line engines such as the mogul.

If Jupiter aligned with Mars, and the cows came home, this still available center headlight  smokebox front would be the same diameter as the mogul and be a drop in.

Terry Toenges

The 4-4-0 covers with headlight are available through their online store. You just can't buy them until the  quarantine is lifted.
https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=68_636&zenid=ice57r8n49rb8g4i6633keblj1
Feel like a Mogul.

jonathan

Barry,

I've studied the diagrams of the Alco 2-6-0... blew 'em up to around 600%.  It appears the headlight can is part of the boiler mold--not a separate part.  It would take some delicate, and tough, cutting to take that can off the top of the smoke box.  Then you'd be left with a serious hole to fill on top of the boiler.  Not saying it can't be done.  I have moved sand domes and steam domes on plastic models before.  Just saying it is quite a bit of work.  Filling in and sanding is possible.  I find it to be rewarding and fun.  Some would not.

Adding a front headlight would be the easy part. You could get a brass detail part for the front headlight and run a piece of clear plastic from the bulb/LED inside the boiler, out to the headlight can, to carry the photons out to the lens in the headlight.  I've done that before, too.

For what it's worth.

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

I'd buy a spare boiler shell to cut the headlight off.  "Just in case." 😂😂

While you are at it, add a whistle and a pilot deck.  Bachmann in its penny pinching provided neither.  And a finer scale sized bell. They are on the Bachmann parts list. The bell that comes on the mogul is atrocious.

Barry Karlberg

Thanks, all who responded to my question regarding the 2-6-0 head light. They are all appreciated.

I won't be attempting this modification but a friend of considerable experience will.

I'll be happy to post a photo of his work on the 2-6-0 when it's completed.

Thanks, again for rapid responses.

Barry,

Trainman203

Some poster, probably not around anymore, did the headlight relocation some years ago.  He covered up the old headlight location with a flat platform and relocated the bell (new nice scale sized casting) to atop the smokebox in front of the stack in the manner of older Southern Railway steam engines, exemplified by the Bachmann Richmond and Baldwin SR 4-4-0's.  Looked really good.  I'm not brave enough to do it.  

Barry Karlberg

All including Moderator:

I have tried repeatedly, to post photos of the completed/modified 2-6-0 with headlight re-located and changed. However each time I try to post a photo I am told it can't happen.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Barry

jonathan

Barry,

You'll need a photo sharing account like Flickr, photobucket, among others.

You load photos onto the photo sharing site then paste the photo link on your thread in the forum.

There are some brief instructions in the FAQ section on this forum. Most sharing sites are free up to a point.

Would love to see your results.

Regards,

Jonathan

Barry Karlberg

Thanks, Jonathan.

So if I understand correctly, I can't just post a photo directly form my computer files to the Bachmann
site? Do I have to go through a hosting/pay site like Photobucket or Flickr as the only way to post a photo here.

If that's the case I guess I'll need to post these photos elsewhere.

This is too bad as the work my friend did on the 2-6-0 is truly wonderful and inspiring. I'll probably post the pix over at the Face Book site of HO Scale Shelf layouts or the MRH website.

Sorry guys.

Barry 

Terry Toenges

Barry - You have it correct as to what Jonathan said.  I post my pics on Facebook then open the photo on there and copy the address. Then, I click on the picture icon above in here and paste the address between the tags.
[ img ] photo address [ /img ]
I purposely put the spaces in there so you could see. Don't use the spaces when posting.
Feel like a Mogul.

Barry Karlberg

Thanks, Terry for that option.

I'll see if can do that tomorrow.

Barry

Barry Karlberg

I think I can figure this out now so here are a couple of photos of the modifed 2-6-0 as IC #3715.

Enjoy,

Barry

jonathan

That turned out very nice. Congrats. Really gives that loco a new personality.

I know the photo-sharing thing is a bit of a pain at first. Though, we'll worth it when you can share a nice project like that. Thanks making the effort.

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

Is that the original tender modified?  Or a replacement?  Bachmann should offer center headlight as an option.