News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Relocation of headlight on 2-6-0

Started by Barry Karlberg, April 26, 2020, 11:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Karlberg

Thanks, Jonathan I have always enjoyed seeing your progress and accomplishments.

Yep, it was a bit of a challenge to learn how post photos but now I think I know how to do it. If you folks don't mind I'll post other photos of my roster and railroad?

Barry

Barry Karlberg

Trainman, the tender is the original Bachmann 2-6-0 one. My friend modified it to reflect the IC
prototype and I had previously changed the tender light from side to middle. This modification was quite simple but there is a trick to doing it

First you need to remove the tender shell and to do that you need to unscrew the wire keeper which protects wires from the engine. The two screws which attach the keeper are tiny and you need to keep from breaking any tiny wires.

Once the shell is off (lift it from the engine end and slowly wiggle the other end off)put the shell in the freezer overnight to help loosen the tender light casting. The next morning, take it out of the freezer and use a needle nose plier to gently pull the casting free of the glue and set it aside.

Now look at the tender and you will see the lighting circuit and bulb/led plus a small piece of clear rod to transfer the light up to the tender fixture. Unscrew this assembly (one tiny screw) and turn it 180 degrees so when you again tighten the screw it will place the light right in the center of the tender floor.

The final step is to locate the rear, center of the tender and drill a new hole about 1/16" ??? to hold the now re-positioned light fixture. Place the tender shell back on the body, screw the wire keeper back in place and test the engine. You should now have a centered back up light.

It actually takes more time to read this than it does to perform the work. It's a fairly easy task and improves the look of the locomotive making it truly bi-directional.

Barry

Terry Toenges

I'm glad you figured out the picture posting. I always look forward to seeing other folks' trains.
Feel like a Mogul.

Barry Karlberg

Here's a couple more photos of my railroad.

Enjoy,

Barry

jonathan

Great stuff, Barry.

Are you able to find cabeese for ICRR? Do you build them from craftsman kits? modify existing models? Brass?

Regards,

Jonathan

Barry Karlberg

Hi Jonathan:

I have two, Centralia Car Works, (Des Plains Hobby) red, side door, cabooses, one Blair Line, Iowa Div. caboose modified to include a baggage door for mixed train service and one brass, Overland Models, painted, transfer caboose. The mixed train caboose was modified by my friend and the brass caboose was from a retired, IC, friend.

While I have five, diesels and five steamers for the IC I really model a railroad museum in Illinois which also has a ficticitous, modern freight short line.I also have about 40, 50's, era, freight, and five passenger cars for museum and era change trains. This follows my railroad work life of fifty years starting with the IC in the late 60s. Likely, too much information for a simple answer.

Barry