Questions on Bachmann Plus Southern Pacific 4-8-4 #31301

Started by MrNormalDraws, May 06, 2020, 10:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrNormalDraws

So I won an auction on a Bachmann Plus item for a cheap price and wanna resell it on my store, but I just wanna ask some people who had this item some questions.

1. When was this released and discontinued?

2. What features does it come with, and can it run on regular DC track?

WoundedBear

Ahhhhh......American Capitalism at it's finest.  ::)

You're on your own as far as I'm concerned. Good luck! I have no intention of helping you buy/sell junk on Ebay. YOU should have researched it before YOU bought it.

Sid

rich1998

Well. I guess I will try to help. They are known to sometimes break a driver axle. They run on DC, sort of at times.
Not worth much.

Rich

MrNormalDraws

I got my engine today and aside from dust, she runs very well and even smokes good. My only question is that how can you tell if the engine has a split chassis?

rich1998

It should be obvious. Take the shell off. Maybe look at the bottom of the loco. Look at some old Bachmann loco diagrams that had the split frame.
If Bachmann does not show any, HO Seeker site will show them. Google HO Seeker. They show many Bachmann diagrams.

Rich

MrNormalDraws

I took apart a bit of the chassis (not the whole thing, but enough to see what's inside) and it looks like there's some cracks on the first and third wheels. Is that the split chassis issue?

rich1998

That might be a GS4 produced about 1990 era according to HO Seeker.
Here is a link from HO Seeker that shoes a split chassis. Many Bachmann steamers had split chassis. Normal production method.

Does yours look like this?

https://hoseeker.org/assemblyexplosionbachmann/bachmanndaylightgs4pg2.jpg

Rich