News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

USRA 4-6-2 Sound Value

Started by graywolf, May 08, 2020, 09:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

graywolf

I have the 4-6-2 Light Pacific and the wipers got mangled. Looking at the parts list I need #H528xmt03 yet when I look at the price list it is not called out. Tried calling Bachmann but they are still closed. Is there anywhere else that I could get this part?

Len

The wipers are part of the H528X-00A01-BLACK or H528X-00A01-WHITE chassis assemblies. Not available seperately.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

graywolf

Len I see what you mean. I have never dug into an engine that far do you think that the part just bolts up into the body of the engine. Also I see some loose wires hanging on the part. Will that gear that is shown just mesh with some that are there in the engine?

Trainman203

You ought to be able to straighten out the wipers with time and patience.  I did.

graywolf

Trainman do they come out easily because I tried doing it in place and it is not working.

graywolf

Quote from: graywolf on May 08, 2020, 01:31:51 PM
Trainman do they come out easily because I tried doing it in place and it is not working.
Well it works again!! Thanks Trainman for giving me the confidence to try and fix it. I figured what do I have to lose it doesn't work now so what the heck. The trouble with this design is that the wipers are right at the bottom of the drivers and are prone to grab onto anything on the track. Thanks again.  Paul

Trainman203

You ought to be able to bend the wipers while in place away from the railhead a little.  Use the needle-est of needle nosed tweezers.  But you have to be careful to avoid shaping them so as to snag in the driver spokes.  It's a fine line to not catch either rail or drivers.

I too am very nervous about future wiper rail snagging. That's a vulnerable design already proven to be prone to these mishaps in the USRA mountains of the days of yore.

graywolf

I was surprised to see that the bronze wipers were so forgiving in the way I was bending them. I found it easy to completely remove the wiper assembly to straighten the metal out. I see that the wipers are encased in a supporting plastic structure so therefore you have to replace the whole thing. I also see no reason that Bachmann couldn't provide that as a replacement part.