News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need help!

Started by jordanji, February 20, 2008, 02:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordanji

Hello - I am just getting back into this...it was easier as a kid!

I have a Bachmann engine that is chugging along - I bought a new set of EZ Track and set it up properly.  If the engine is chugging...does it mean I need a new engine? 

The old engine does not have the newer coupler on it - my old cars do not either...they are of Tyco make.  If I buy a new engine, can you still get the older coupler?  If so what numbers/make should I look for?  Can you convert older cars?

What is DCC all about?  I have an Autopulse Transamp 1 transformer that seems to be ok - is it compatible?

Thanks for any help!

Yampa Bob

Jordan:  Welcome back to trains.

Short answers to perhaps lengthy issues:

Your old engine may just need a little lubrication with a very light oil.

If you buy a new engine, it will have the newer knuckle couplers. You should then update the couplers on your cars if possible. Some are easy drop in conversions, others may take a little modifying.  The most popular couplers are the Kadee #5 , I prefer the #148 Whisker which is a bit easier for me.

DCC stands for "Digital Command Control".

Quoted from my DCC instructions:  "DCC allows you to digitally control the speed, lighting, sound, and direction of several locomotives independent of each other."

It requires a special DCC controller, and the loco must be equipped with a decoder to accept the digital signals and perform the requested functions. 

Look in the HO section of this forum for a thread called "DC or DCC?".  Lots of good information has been posted there recently by forum members.    

If you have a local hobby shop that features trains, the owner will be happy to help you with more detailed information, and advise you on locomotive selections. 

There is an abundance of information, answers and suggestions in the forum archives, try doing a search for a specific topic.  Feel free to ask questions anytime,  members ranging from beginner to advanced are always willing and anxious to help.

Good luck
Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jordanji

Yampa Bob

You are welcome.  I just now edited my post so you might want to read it again.

Keep checking your thread, others will be in with other suggestions. perhaps elaborating on your specific issues.

Bob

Atlantic Central

Jordan,

If your Troller Autopulse power pack still works there is no reason not to use it  - Except - it might not give very good performance of locos that are designed to run on both DC and DCC. For regular DC locos is was a very good controller in its day and is still considered a good design for DC locos.

Locomotives with high end DCC dual mode decoders will most likely run fine on it, but some less expensive dual mode decoder equiped locos will be noisy and hard to control with that controller.

I sold hundreds of those powr packs in the seventies when I worked in the hobby business, they where great!

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

Bob,

The power pack he is refering to uses a pulse width modulation approach to speed control. They work fine and do not overheat motors like half wave "pulse power" that was on some older packs.

Sheldon

Yampa Bob

Hi Sheldon
I was referring to the older pulse units. I was not aware his unit was a PWM.

I edited my post to avoid confusion

Thanks
Bob