News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pier elevated figure 8

Started by richard ehrhart, December 25, 2007, 12:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard ehrhart

I just received the Overland Limited set for Christmas and also the EZ track 14 piece pier set. This set allows the oval to become an elevated figure 8. The original set has 22" radius curves and the addition had 18" radius curves. There are no intructions telling what combination of both make the figure 8. Can anyone help?

SteamGene

Richard, I don't think you can.  Does the 18" radius make into an elevated figure 8?  If so, the solution is to make an outer loop of 22" radius an an inner loop that is the figure 8.  You join them with two turnouts to connect the two loops.  A word of caution.  When you connect the track, rub your finger over the top of each rail junction, going both ways.  You MUST NOT feel a bump.  If you do,  one rail is resting on top of the rail joiner and needs to be adjusted so the rail sits inside the joiner.
Merry Christmas.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

richard ehrhart

Thanks for responding. I agree, I don't think they can be mixed. I think the store sold us the incorrect kit. It states on the box that it expands an 18" radius circle to the figure eight. I don't know if Bachman sells the same kit in 22" radius.

jayl1

Richard,
Is the engine a 4-8-4 steam engine?  If so you may not even want to go with an elevation.  Perhaps you could go with an outer 22" radius circle and an inner 18" radius circle with switches to conect the tracks (and maybe add a few straight tracks) .  Just an idea though...

Jay

richard ehrhart

That's what SteamGene recommended. What does 4-8-4 mean?

SteamGene

A 4-8-4 is a modern steam locomotive.  It has four pony (front) wheels (two on each side), eight drivers (four on each side) and four trailing (rear) wheels, two on each side.  And I think you can use the pier set, though it's going to be one heck of a grade, I believe.
Merry Second Day of Christmas.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

richard ehrhart

After reading the cover of the box for the expansion set, it states that it will expand any 18" radius circle. I don't understand why Bachman sells the starter set with 22" radius curves but the expansion set with 18". I had to return the expansion set and buy individual tracks to make my own layout. To further confuse myself, I bought all 22" radius curves to match my starter set curves and the other pieces the Bachman e-z track catalog said I needed on page 25. When the layout wasn't working, I looked at page 3 and it said 18" radius curves are needed. I just kept buying pieces until the ends met.

SteamGene

Richard,
The expansion set is probably an older release when 18" radius was the standard.  Bachmann seems to be moving towards a 22"standard - which is closer to reality - and the expansion set has not caught up yet.
Merry Third Day of Christmas.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat