News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New HO San Francisco cable car

Started by Trainman203, October 29, 2020, 10:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

The release refers several times to cable cars being preserved in New Orleans.  The cars in New Orleans are standard electric streetcars, not cable cars.

Ton N

I have been looking at the announcement but i can't see any difference between this "new" one and the one i bought last century.

Ton

rich1998

Quote from: Trainman203 on October 29, 2020, 10:59:54 AM
The release refers several times to cable cars being preserved in New Orleans.  The cars in New Orleans are standard electric streetcars, not cable cars.

I agree. They are street cars. I last saw one from New Orleans at a street car museum in East Windsor, Ct a few years ago that New Orleans was trying to buy back. Nice car to ride.

Rich

Trainman203

Yes, that is the only survivor of the 800 series, maybe 50 of them, that were all scrapped in 1965, unbelievably late for such a horrendous event.

Another stupid thing New Orleans did was trade San Francisco a very fine usable streetcar that they use every day for a cable car that is useless in New Orleans.

jward

Quote from: Trainman203 on November 01, 2020, 07:27:53 PM
Yes, that is the only survivor of the 800 series, maybe 50 of them, that were all scrapped in 1965, unbelievably late for such a horrendous event.

Not the only survivor. Pennsylvania Trolley Museum has the 832.

https://pa-trolley.org/collection/new-orleans-public-service-inc-832/
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman203

rich1998

Well, that makes three so far. That one is quite a ways from me. A day trip.
My uncle has lived in New Orleans since 1950 and told me some years ago that a few were sold off but he did not know how many. He does remember some were sad to see them go.
He remembers this area getting rid of streetcars before he moved. They stopped running in 1940 in my area.
I saw streetcar tracks being removed in the early 1950's.
If the Covid clears up by next summer, I will stop in East Windsor and ask the workers.

Rich.

Trainman203

You sure the 1st and 3rd aren't the same car?

rich1998

836 is in Northern CT. I have seen and been on that one a few times.

832 is in PA.
850 is in Southern CT.
Don't look at just the photos. Look at the locations.

Rich

Trainman203

Well that's good.  I doubt if any of them ever go back home.

rich1998

I have seen a couple at East Windsor that look more like a bus. I have lost the photos but they might be at the site.

Rich

Trainman203

The bus like cars are probably "PCC" cars, quite homely in my opinion.