Converting wood load to coal in UP 119 4-4-0

Started by pz324, November 29, 2020, 09:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pz324

Hi everyone,

I am no expert modeler, but decided to try and convert the wood load in the tender on the UP 119 4-4-0 (bought it ~4 years ago before Bachmann issued a new one with coal).  I first tried to see if I could remove the wood, but wasn't sure if it would expose the decoder if I did.  So I went for a much more cruder method, and it seemed to work fine.  I applied some scenics cement to the wood in the tender with a small paint brush, and then carefully sprinkled some mine run coal (both cement and coal from Woodland Scenics).  Finally, I sprayed some of the scenic cement on to the coal, and had to fill in a couple of spots here and there since the mine run coal is very fine and some moved when it was sprayed.  But all in all, it looks pretty good.  I debated using their lump coal, but was surprised how well it turned out using the finer grade. I'm sure there are better and more accurate ways to do this, but it seemed to do the job.

rich1998

Do you have a couple photos? Some here might me interested in what you did.

Rich

pz324

Hi Rich - sure could use some advice on how to post a couple of photos as the two I have are too large to post.  Any suggestions?

Terry Toenges

I put a real wood load on mine and yes, removing the plastic wood does expose the internal electric stuff. I put some electric tape over the hole from underneath. Be thankful that you did it the way you did it.

Feel like a Mogul.

rich1998

Quote from: pz324 on November 29, 2020, 10:16:12 PM
Hi Rich - sure could use some advice on how to post a couple of photos as the two I have are too large to post.  Any suggestions?

You need a photo hosting site to post photos in most forums. Most are free. Search for photo hosting.

Rich