News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann HO Yard Boss

Started by Maddog, December 04, 2020, 03:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maddog

Good Afternoon

Thank you for allowing me into your group.  I have a Bachmann HO Yard Boss Power House Railroading set.  This set belonged to my stepson and he is now 36.  I am missing the 3 "activator wires".  I called the Bachmann parts department and because this is such an old set they no longer have replacement parts.  I was wondering if anyone in this group might be able to give me any information ass to  where I might be able to find those activator wires.  Thanking you in advance.

Mike DiLaura

jward

A quick online search shows your set to be HO and not N scale like the current Yard Boss sets. Is this correct?

Looking over the HO set it appears to have a reote controlled track switch. Are the activator wires you are referring to the 3 conductor cable that connects the switch motor to the push button control box?

If the answer to both of the above questions is yes, then you are in luck. Back in the 1970s and 1980s, before the use of roadbed track like EZ track in train sets, track was pretty much standardized. You could swap things like switch motors and control boxes among different brands. Atlas still makes this type of track, and the associated wiring components. You might try their web site for the cable you need http://www.atlasrr.com Look under HO and Electrical, then Layout wire. Alternatively, you can go to Home Depot or a similar store and buy 3 conductor cable in whatever length you want. Look for about 18-20 guage wire.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

I think the "activator wires" are the three rods connected to the two curve and one straight tracks with the odd black things attached to them, as shown in this pic:

They look like something that could be replaced with a bit of brass rod, such as that made by K&S Engineering. They probably have someithing to do with old style operating accessories or operating cars. The turnout appears to be manual, although it might be operated by the odd shaped box it's attached to.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.