News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC shorts

Started by paulbelow, December 08, 2020, 06:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulbelow

Using HO scale NS EZtrack, and Bachmann DCC controller.  Setting up a large layout.  Previously was running a smaller layout with the same controller and some of the same track.

Is there a limit to how much track it will support?  I am getting intermittent shorts.  Have checked all the track.

Is there a combination of switches and crossovers that will cause it to short?  I tried two of the number 6 crossovers (DCC) and it immediately shorted until I took one of them out.  Now I get intermittent shorts.

Is there a combination of loops that will cause a problem?  Some of my turnouts are DCC and some of them are the manual kind.  Maybe bad idea to mix them?

rich1998

It would probably help to post a layout drawing.

Rich

paulbelow

It wouldnt let me post a jpg, it says the folder is full.

Tried to post a 128k picture of an anyrail drawing of what I was trying to do (except with everything connected, unlike the drawing where there are a few tiny gaps, pretend those gaps are connected).

It shorted, so I have been gradually making it simpler and taking out some of the track.

I do not have a loco on the track currently and it is intermittently shorting.   That is why I was wondering about either too much track for the bachmann controller, or maybe mixing dcc and manual turnouts.

paulbelow

OK, after more experimentation I think I figured it out.

I had two left turnouts that were connected directly to each other.  When I disconnect them the problem goes away.  So far, anyway.

I was trying to be too clever, I guess.

rich1998

As a follow up, You need a photo hosting site to post photos.

Rich

paulbelow

Do I need something special if I add a reversing loop to my DCC layout?

In other words, if I am using ez track turnouts (either the DC ones switched manually or the DCC ones) and crossovers (DCC ones) would I need to buy a special box to allow a reversing loop?

Terry Toenges

You will need some way to reverse the polarity either with toggle switches or with auto reversers. Bachmann does make an automatic reversing module (Model: 44912)

It would probably be easier to watch some of these videos about reverse loops.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dcc++%22reversing+loop%22&lr=&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjmw9zPgsrtAhWKWM0KHbIUARgQ_AUoAHoECAQQCg&biw=1279&bih=619
Feel like a Mogul.

paulbelow

Thanks!  Quite helpful.

Two follow-up questions:

Will any brand of HO scale insulated rail joiners work with EZ track, or do I need a certain kind?

The Bachmann auto reversing unit looks like it has some sort of plugs on the wires.  Do they plug into something, negating the need for soldering wires to the rails?

Len

Any brand of insulated rail joiners for code 100 track will work. The trick is getting the regular rail joiners off the EZ-Track without destroying the track. I've gotten to the point where I find it easier to just put the track together and cut gaps in the rails with a cutoff disk in a Dremel tool. A bit of styrene, or even just a dab of white glue, can be used to keep the rails from moving together.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

Look at the product part here and it shows you about hooking it up and the plugs.
Scroll down to: g. E-Z COMMAND REVERSE LOOP MODULE INSTRUCTIONS
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/references.php
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

The title makes me think of Bermudas with Soundtraxx and TCS logos all over them.

::) :D