News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Source for Bachmann HO EMD F9 Rear Assembly

Started by EthanA, December 07, 2020, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EthanA

Does anyone know a good source for the rear truck and motor assembly (#2106) for a HO EMD F9 Diesel?  I don't see it listed in the Bachmann on-line parts store.

rich1998

Right now it sounds like you are looking for a Pancake motor for an older locomotive that had the motor and gear box on one end. A photo of the loco with no shell would be more useful.

Rich

jward

You'd probably be better off buying a newer FT or F7 with all wheel drive and a can motor and swapping the shells. They can often be found at train shows for about $25. Or, if you insist of repair in kind, pancake motored F(s are dirt cheap at the same shows. Just look for the guys selling loose freight cars in tray like boxes, they'd be the most likely to have what you want. If you do repair in kind, be aware that you might not have any better luck with the new pancake than you did with the old one. They are susceptable to overheating and catastrophic bearing failure.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

EthanA

Jeff,  Thanks for your helpful reply.  We will follow your advice and look for FT's instead of trying to fix the F9.  We'll just have to wait until next spring, when the train shows will (hopefully) reopen in our area.

rich1998

rich1998

This is a wild guess.
Some years ago I had a dual motor HO 44 ton with a cracked gear. I had converted it to DCC. I un converted it and got it running on DC.
Sent it to Bachmann with a check and they sent me a single motor 44 ton.
Maybe mif you call them, you could see if they would send you an FT for your F9 with the appropriate check.
Look in the Parts, Service and Information page for phone number and price of a HO DC loco.
It's worth a try. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. It worked for me.
You might get a loco sooner. Only cost a phone call.
No idea how Covid is going to affect shows.

Ebay is another choice but iffy,

By the wa, I did find your loco in the information page right next to the FT.

Good luck

Rich

jward

Looking at the drawings, the F9 shows the older pancake motor version, the FT shows the new and improved can motor version. Outside of some differences in how the shells are mounted, the chassis should share the same dimensions. Your F9 shell should slip onto the FT chassis with minor modifications.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

If you are adventurous, here is a You Tube video for repairing the F9. It might work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD3Qs9lBy1s

Rich