Trouble coupling cars on new spirit of Christmas HO train

Started by Michael$, December 16, 2020, 12:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael$

Couplers seem flimsy and unreliable.  Can they be upgraded.   How?  What part number?   How difficult?    This is a display, Christmas only train.   But we'd like it to work reliably year after year.   

rich1998

Switch to Kadee couplers and get a coupler gauge plus a tool to adjust the trip Pins. Micro Mark sells the tools.
Make sure your track is fairly flat.

Rich

Michael$

I looked at Kareem, they're supposed to be the best.   But I can't determine which number to buy.   There are a lot of options and I don't know much about this.  The Kareem site stated they don't provide info regarding Bachman upgrades.   

Terry Toenges

I was trying to find that set and I can't find an "HO" Spirit of Christmas set. Only an "N" scale set. Kadee doesn't sell "N" scale couplers. The only reference I could find to Kareem couplers was on a Lionel loco on an auctioneer site. Where did you find the Kareem site? I had never heard of them.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

Temporary seasonal track on floors or table tops covered with fabric can never be expected to operate smoothly.

Michael$

I meant Kadee.   My computer auto corrected and I didn't catch it.   Sorry.   My train is N not HO.   My mistake.   I'm totally new at this.  Is there any way I can improve couplers?

Terry Toenges

It sounds like Micro-Trains might be the way to go for you. I thought you might have meant Kadee. 
I was surprised when I Googled Kareem and found some mention of them on some Lionel locos. That was a new one to me.
"Union Pacific by Challenger Imports - Jul 30, 2017 | Corbett's ...
dev.liveauctioneers.com › item › 54686778_union-pacifi...
Power pick-up from all 16 wheels, Kareem couplers on loco. Toys, Dolls & Games. Holabird Western Americana CollectionsReno, NV, US. View Full Details."
Feel like a Mogul.

rich1998

Thank you Terry.
I went by the first post. I was totally off. In the HO forum I was picturing a Bachmann train set.

Rich