Getting Back Into the Hobby

Started by jeff.s, December 17, 2020, 04:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff.s

Good afternoon, I am breaking back into model railroading after many years.  I sold all the HO gear I had when I was 25 and in the military.  I am now 65 and a lot has changed in the hobby, especially digital systems.  I know I want to start with a 4x8 layout.  My question, I have looked at quite a few layouts and cannot decide on one.  I know I want at least two loops an inside loop and a main line capable of running two trains. A double mainline with inside loop would be amazing.

I do have a larger layout in mind, based on the port of Livorno Italy, but I can always add to what I have.

Does anyone have suggestions for a 4x8 layout, which will keep an older hobbyist entertained? I am not opposed to over/under.  I have spent way too much time looking without making a decision.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you, Jeff

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

Google is your friend.  There are dozens of track plan books.

jward

If you're willing to go slightly larger, Atlas has a plan called Granite Gorge & Northern that fits in a 5x9 space. The railroad consists of a two track figure 8 with cutoffs that connect the two main tracks allowing you to easily shift trains between the tracks. the center piece of the layout is a long bridge over a river, two main tracks and a small yard. A google search should bring up examples of this plan that various people have built.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

Word of warning if you do the GG&N: If you use the 'cookie cutter' approach shown in the Atlas track plan book, keep in mind the size of dimensional lumber today is not the same as it was when the plan was first published. Which can lead to elevations coming out lower than they're supposed to be in a couple of key places. Learned this the hard way a while back. If I ever did this layout again I'd either go 'open grid' with risers supporting a subroadbed, or 'flat top' using Woodland Scenics foam risers.

Also, the Atlas 18" long truss bridges weren't available when the plan was published. Some flexibility in yard track placement, by eliminating bridge piers in the yard area, can be achieved using the 18" bridges instead of the 'curved cord' and 'pony truss' bridges called for in the plan.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jonathan

Jeff,

Welcome back to the world's greatest hobby.

Here's another suggestion:

I have a 6'X16' layout, and hoping to let it grow a little more as time passes.

Here's my layout under construction.  The left hand corner of the layout, in the foreground, is literally a 4'X8' sheet of half-inch plywood mounted on top of the benchwork. This is a simple double-track oval, using 22" radius curves on the outside, and a bit under 20" radius track on the inside:

DSC_0491 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I have connected the 4'X8' layout to the rest of the layout, using a reverse wye.  A train can travel up from the mainline, enter this smaller layout (branchline), and travel back down to the mainline.

Here is a shot of the other side of the ovals. Hopefully this gives you an idea of how they connect:

DSC_0166_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I'm a roundy-round guy. I like to set the trains in motion and let 'em go.  I can set 5 trains in motion--then just watch.

Or, I can run 4 trains, and run operations from the mainline, up to the branch line, moving coal back and forth.

I know you have a different idea about what you want to model, but this might give you some ideas on how to start small... then expand when you are ready.

Regards,

Jonathan

rich1998

Welcome jeff.s

If you are not aware, you will need a photo hosting site to post photos. There are a number of them. Ex Navy here.

Rich

jeff.s

Quote from: Trainman203 on December 17, 2020, 06:38:16 PM
Google is your friend.  There are dozens of track plan books.

And there in lies the problem, too many choices!  Thank you!

jeff.s

Quote from: jward on December 17, 2020, 08:06:59 PM
If you're willing to go slightly larger, Atlas has a plan called Granite Gorge & Northern that fits in a 5x9 space. The railroad consists of a two track figure 8 with cutoffs that connect the two main tracks allowing you to easily shift trains between the tracks. the center piece of the layout is a long bridge over a river, two main tracks and a small yard. A google search should bring up examples of this plan that various people have built.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will look at the layout.

jeff.s

Quote from: jonathan on December 18, 2020, 07:01:46 AM
Jeff,

Welcome back to the world's greatest hobby.

Here's another suggestion:

I have a 6'X16' layout, and hoping to let it grow a little more as time passes.

Here's my layout under construction.  The left hand corner of the layout, in the foreground, is literally a 4'X8' sheet of half-inch plywood mounted on top of the benchwork. This is a simple double-track oval, using 22" radius curves on the outside, and a bit under 20" radius track on the inside:

DSC_0491 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I have connected the 4'X8' layout to the rest of the layout, using a reverse wye.  A train can travel up from the mainline, enter this smaller layout (branchline), and travel back down to the mainline.

Here is a shot of the other side of the ovals. Hopefully this gives you an idea of how they connect:

DSC_0166_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I'm a roundy-round guy. I like to set the trains in motion and let 'em go.  I can set 5 trains in motion--then just watch.

Or, I can run 4 trains, and run operations from the mainline, up to the branch line, moving coal back and forth.

I know you have a different idea about what you want to model, but this might give you some ideas on how to start small... then expand when you are ready.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan, this looks amazing and is a great suggestion as I intend to build on later.  Thank you for the great photos!

jeff.s

Thank you, this is what I was considering about adding on later.  What an awesome layout.  Your passion certainly shows!

jeff.s

Quote from: rich1998 on December 18, 2020, 11:43:27 AM
Welcome jeff.s

If you are not aware, you will need a photo hosting site to post photos. There are a number of them. Ex Navy here.

Rich

Can you please explain?  My photos are hosted on my server or in the Cloud, is something else needed?

jward

Quote from: Len on December 17, 2020, 10:39:52 PM
Word of warning if you do the GG&N: If you use the 'cookie cutter' approach shown in the Atlas track plan book, keep in mind the size of dimensional lumber today is not the same as it was when the plan was first published. Which can lead to elevations coming out lower than they're supposed to be in a couple of key places. Learned this the hard way a while back. If I ever did this layout again I'd either go 'open grid' with risers supporting a subroadbed, or 'flat top' using Woodland Scenics foam risers.

Also, the Atlas 18" long truss bridges weren't available when the plan was published. Some flexibility in yard track placement, by eliminating bridge piers in the yard area, can be achieved using the 18" bridges instead of the 'curved cord' and 'pony truss' bridges called for in the plan.

Len

I built one of these with my kids around 1995. i don't recall running into trouble with the cut framing pieces or the risers. But mine was built with pine board for subroadbed, and Tru Scale wood roadbed so there were minor modifications throughout the layout. If any of the dimensions would have been off i would have corrected them and forgotten about it. The only critical height dimensions come where the bridges cross over the valley. If you set those and work your way back toward the foot of the grades, you shouldn't have any problems. As i recall the design is forgiving enough that slight adjustments to height are possible without redoing the whole layout.

I will say this: if you have small children who love to run trains, they are going to enjoy this railroad. And the cutoffs and the crossing in the plan will teach them about controlling their train and being aware of their surroundings. It's a good learning experience for them. I was able to wire the layout for three trains back then, but it would be even easier to run multiple trains using DCC which was in its infancy when i built the layout.

You won't be able to use Woodland Scenics foam risers on this layout as the grades are not in the even percentages of the risers. And, particularly on the inner main track on the right side of the layout, there is no way to adjust the grades to use those risers.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

"You won't be able to use Woodland Scenics foam risers on this layout as the grades are not in the even percentages of the risers. And, particularly on the inner main track on the right side of the layout, there is no way to adjust the grades to use those risers."

You'd be surprised what you can do with a hot wire cutter. The approaches to the bridge in this pic are WS 3% risers cut down to 2-1/2%, with a slight "superelevation" added to keep things on the rails on the downhill side.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.