News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

installing "Keep Alive"

Started by billoberst, January 11, 2021, 03:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billoberst

I need a little help in installing a TCS KA-1 Keep Alive in a Bachmann 4-4-0 steam engine with a factory Tsunami sound board factory installed. I cannot find any part number on the board and need help finding the correct contact points. Thanks Bill

jonathan

Bill, 

This may be no help at all, but:

I googled "Install Keep Alive on Tsunami decoder".  They best hit I found was from Tony's Train Exchange.  They had some written instructions, and some great diagrams on how to connect the keep alive to all the Soundtraxx sound decoders.  However,  the sound decoder in the newish 4-4-0 was not listed.  On the other hand, there were enough options listed that one could made a very educated guess based on all the options listed.

Like I said, that may be no help.  The sound-onboard 4-4-0s have been around for a year or so, but still may be too recent for the tinkers to have posted about upgrades for the 4-4-0. 

Many Tsunamis have a capacitor already attached.  It's usually a simple matter of replacing the stock capacitor with the keep alive.  Just sayin'

I saw one running at the last train show I attended.  As you might guess, that was a year ago, before the pandemic.

Regards,

Jonathan

rich1998

The Tsunami decoders I have installed in the past had a capacitor for keep alive for sound, not for running. You have to find the main plus and minus operating voltage points, usually near the output of the full wave bridge rectifier. Depends on the decoder.
A dated link I think.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/mainnorth/alive.htm

Rich

billoberst

Thanks Man I've already checked at Tonys but I did get a call back from George at Soundtrax and I'm to send him pictures of the PC board. Thanks again Bill