News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reversing Loops on Layout

Started by ferroequinologist, December 25, 2020, 04:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferroequinologist

Hello,
I'm planning on expanding my current 4 x 8 layout to a 5 x (nearly) 10 layout with industry sidings, a yard, and two reversing loops.  I plan on using Bachmann EZ Command to run the trains, and also plan on installing two Bachmann Auto Reverse Modules for the two reversing loops.  I have, though, read the instructions for the EZ Command Controller, and it says particular care must be taken with track configurations with reversing loops.  I'm wondering, then, if I should install the Auto-Reversing Modules to the track before connecting the power supply.

jward

You need to make sure your reversing loops are properly gapped before turning the power on. That is true no matter how you power your layout. Proper gapping means insulated joiners or other method of gapping BOTH rails at each end of the reversing section. Once this is done, the layout should be safe from short circuits that could damage your power supply. The gaps are far more important that the autoreverser, for you cannot run anything anywhere if the gaps aren't right. After you have the gaps in place, i'd test run the rest of the layout before i try to wire the autoreversers.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ferroequinologist

OK, thank you for letting me know :).  I've talked with some of the other folks at my model railroad club, and they affirmed what you mentioned previously about needing to gap/insulate the rails before the reversing loops.  I'll be using Kato HO Unitrack for my layout (as my current layout is comprised of this type of track), and have found that Kato sells Insulated rail joiners for just such a purpose; I also plan on using Kato Terminal Unijoiners to connect the Bachmann Auto-Reverse Modules to the Unitrack.  I"ll be running trains using a Bachmann EZ Command Controller connected to a feeder track at the bottom of my layout, but will connect the Auto-Reverse Modules and Terminal Unijoiners to the passing siding and crossover tracks above the feeder track.  I think this may be a viable option, but I welcome any opinions/suggestions on this matter.

plas man

hi ferroequinologist , on my layout the main line is long and at either end is a reverse loop , both are operated by 0ne reverse module

as long as the train & engine are out of the loop it will work ( my DCC is Hornby but make is no matter ) several loops

ferroequinologist

Hello,
Thank you for letting me know :).  I'm guessing the configuration you have would be called a "dogbone," with a module for each loop (I've seen diagrams for this in the Auto-Reverse Module Instruction Booklet).  The track configuration I'll likely have is an oval for the main line, a passing siding at the bottom of the oval (for trains to enter the station), and crossover tracks for the reversing loops and industry sidings.  Basically, it will be a sideways figure-8 with an oval for the main line around it and sidings within the loops of the figure-8.  Additionally, someone at my model railroad club informed me that this will create two reversing loops, which is why they recommended having two reversing modules.  I've also made absolutely certain that each portion of the reversing loops are longer than my longest train.  Thank you again!!