News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Green Acessory Cord Issue

Started by Infogoddess, January 02, 2021, 08:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Infogoddess

EDITED:

When I try to connect a green extension wire to a turnout, the plugs do not meet completely (i.e., the prongs can still be seen)? Is this normal?  Is it safe to run under our table covering? Links to photos follow.

Please keep in mind this is a set-up for a 5 yo, high-functioning, autistic young man. He received his first Bachmann starter set a year ago and treats his trains with respect and care. It is my first experience with trains as well. Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hV59SzWx3eaPkPTk8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZA2EiRKLCjHpSnPY9]

rbturner

Fully seating the connectors would be best but it is generally only low voltage present so if you take normal care you should be safe.

Running wire under anything is not a great idea. But once again let common sense prevail. Is it possible to route the wire so that it is not under your table cover?
Acts 2:38

rich1998

I do not have the EZ Command but from a You Tube video, the long cable should be used the same way as the short cable.

Rich

Terry Toenges

That's strange. They should seat a lot closer than that. I don't have any wired turnouts now that I could check but I remember them going pretty much all the way together.
As as far as wires under the table cover, I've done it before. Rich is right that it isn't the ideal way to do it. If you develop an electrical problem, it's harder to get to it.  Having said that, I think you would be ok running that one turnout wire if you can't go around the outside with it. It looks like your table cover isn't permanently attached in case you had to get to the wire.
Feel like a Mogul.

VoyagerXII

Quote from: Infogoddess on January 03, 2021, 07:26:31 PM
Updated
I have the exact same issue with the extender plug spades not fitting the switch plug receptacle with my newly purchased track addition layout.  The blades seem to large like they were machined or stamped improperly.  Can Bachmann make this right?

Terry Toenges

Are you able to slide something small and thin into the receptacle holes to see if they go all the way in? It is really puzzling to me. Perhaps a factory defect.
Feel like a Mogul.

VoyagerXII

Quote from: Terry Toenges on January 04, 2021, 12:16:48 PM
Are you able to slide something small and thin into the receptacle holes to see if they go all the way in? It is really puzzling to me. Perhaps a factory defect.
I can see that there are no obstructions in the for switch receptacles.  The blades appear to be too big to fit them.  Im thinking factory defect.

Len

Can you file/trim down the end of the blades a bit so the molding fits against the socket?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Penn1974

What I have done for this problem is just use a pair of channel locks that will clamp on the outside edge of the blocks and just squeeze them together as long as you are not on any wires. I have not had any problems and my turnouts work great.