Installing a DCC Decoder on a DC Bachmann Locomotive

Started by ferroequinologist, January 03, 2021, 08:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferroequinologist

Hello,
I recently purchased the Bachmann USRA 0-6-0 PRR Locomotive #3233 for use on my layout as a switcher.  I had planned on running this engine (and all of my other locomotives) with the Bachmann EZ Command DCC Controller, but although I was under the impression that I could run one DC/Analog locomotive with this particular controller, I learned on various model railroad forums that doing so will burn out the motor and electronics on the DC locomotive.  With that in mind, I figured I would need to purchase and install a DCC decoder for my locomotive, though I'm not sure how I'd go about installing one.  Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Terry Toenges

I have  always understood that at long as you don't let your DC loco sit motionless for very long on a DCC powered layout, you should be ok. I have a a couple of old DC locos I run on mine sometimes. I'm sure there are different opinions out there. Bachmann has included the ability on their E-Z Command system to run one DC loco.
Feel like a Mogul.

rich1998

The two point where the brushes site on the commutator get hot and hotter when the loco is stopped at the commutator vibrates at the DCC frequency.
I did measurements some years ago with locos in a test stand. Can and open frame motors. I used an infra red temp scanner that can pin point temp spots.
Better to park the loco when not using. Turn off the side track power. You will hear an annoying buzz when running.
I use to do that with a MRC 2 Command that could ruin one DC only loco. The DCC set was nice. Five throttle. Two on a lanyard. Gave it away. On ebay now. Still one amp limit.
No idea if anyone has ever burnt out a motor.

Rich

jward

I have done the DCC conversion on several of these locomotives. I used a Z scale decoder, Digitrax DZ125, because it would fit in the space where the smoke unit sits. My 0-6-0s are the split frame type, and wiring it is pretty straightforward. The track power leads on the decoder go to the frame halves, and the motor leads go to the motor. I soldered mine to the motor brush caps, after removing them from the motor of course. I also removed the tabs that contact the frame halves from the brush caps at the same time.

This site has photos of somebody else doing essentially what i did. Scroll down through the various projects until you find the 0-6-0.

http://girr.org/girr/girr_ho/girr_ho.html#dcc

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

I have used the DZ125. Good for one amp. Not much bigger than a thick dime. Probably on ebay now.

Rich

ferroequinologist

I want to thank all of you for your replies, as I, being a novice model railroader, figure I could use all the help I can get.  To provide specifics on some things, I did plan on using the DC locomotive as a switcher in my yard, so unfortunately it would likely spend quite some time waiting for trains to come in.  I'm also not sure of there would be a way for me to turn off power to the tracks in my yard, as all of the switches are manual and (I suspect) non-power-routing.  I did also read the guide for installing the Digitrax D125 decoder, yet while I have seen folks at my model railroad club use a soldering iron, I have never used one myself.  Thank you again!!

Terry Toenges

Yes. You are better off with DCC  to use it like that.
Feel like a Mogul.

rich1998

You should have someone at the club install the decoder. If you Google the decoder, you can see the dimensions.
The DZ126 is the replacement you can order online also. Also good for one amp. Google that one also. If you do not want to deal with ebay. Not sure any place has it online.

Rich

jward

I was able to purchase mine at a local hobby shop in Cranberry, PA. They have an excellent selection of Digitrax decoders.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ferroequinologist

Thank you all again  :).  I would have somebody from my model railroad club install the decoder, but unfortunately, our club activities have been suspended until further notice due to COVID.  There is a local hobby shop that installs decoders for a price and in looking at their online store, they appear to have a Digitrax 1.5 amp DCC decoder for HO scale trains, though I'm not sure if this is the same as the DZ126 previously mentioned.

jward

DZ126 is a Z scale decoder. An HO decoder is too large to fit in the cavity where the smoke unit sat, and the only other places to put it are in the cab where it would be highly visible, or the tender which would entail adding wiring between the locomotive and tender. Given that the connection between the two is a pin on the tender that slides in a slot under the locomotive cab, I wouldn't recommend putting the decoder in the tender. Those wires will interfere with the movement of the pin in the slot and could cause the tender to derail on curves.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ferroequinologist

Ah, OK.  So, if my understanding is correct (and please correct me if I'm wrong), I should purchase a Z-scale decoder (like the DZ125 or DZ126), as it will fit better on (and in) the locomotive and would be less likely to cause the tender to derail if installed in there.  It does indeed seem as though the DZ125 will be more difficult to find, so I think I might go for purchasing the DZ126.

jward

The DZ126 is just an updated DZ125. It will fit in the same area.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

Some DZ125 available on ebay. I just looked. Quite small. I have used a couple. They can be put in small places. No idea about the smoke unit place. I gave my 0-6-0's away to someone here a few years ago. Don't remember if they had smoke, though.

Rich