Power source for remote switch turnouts

Started by Mwehr1974, January 05, 2021, 05:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mwehr1974

I recently purchased the Rail Chief set and two turnouts (44461 and 44462) but my speed controller does NOT have any accessory hookups. The switches have horseshoe ends that wouldn't go in them anyway...what power source am I supposed to use? I have searched and found "use a dc 16v power pack" but how does a horseshoe clamp go into a port end without any screws? I am not an electrician so I'm not looking to rewire or rig something up. All I could find available was the blue speed controller or the accessory power pack but either one I would have to cut the ends off and strip the wire to connect. This cant be the way the manufacturer meant to do or else why put the horseshoe clamps on it to begin with. Please help!

jward

Most DC power packs have an AC accessory output that has screw terminals. The latest Bachmann ones are the exception to this rule. Honestly even a cheap train set power pack from 40 years ago should be sufficient for what you need. Those can be found dirt cheap at any train show.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA