how to take a Bachmann American 4-4-0 DCC ready apart

Started by greg55, January 11, 2021, 07:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg55

I have received Bachmann new American 4-4-0, (DCC ready), for Chrismass. I would like to in stall a sound system in this train but after looking at the assembly sheet I can find no screws out side to take any body parts apart. I took the engine two local train stores, ask them if they could in stall the sound system, but they said they do not do that, and also they were not sure how to take the the engine or the tender apart, they think that it gust pops apart but it sure does not seem like it. I am not sure, something just not feels right.

HELP Greg55

rich1998

Turn the tender upside down. There should be two screws at the front. I just looked at the Information page.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO4-4-0AMERICAN_BODYASSEMBLY(DCCREADY).pdf

Sound board on the Parts Page but you have to order the speaker.

I only have the older tender drive versions.

Rich

Trainman203

If you can't get the engine apart, you probably will have difficulties with the sound installation too.  It isn't a drop in deal.  There are tons of techs who do this work for you.  Google is your friend.  Search DCC installation.  I've been a model railroader over 50 years and pay people to do that work.

A train store that can't provide this service or at least direct you somewhere isn't much help at all at anything other than relieving money pressure inside your wallet,  and won't be helpful in the future either.  Find another place that lives up to the name ..... although they are becoming fewer every day.

If you still want to do this yourself, check the Soundtraxx website.  They are a very user friendly outfit.  Start there.  Call them and speak to someone.

rich1998

Here is the sound module for the tender with instructions.
You could measure diameter. Probably an eight ohm speaker. All my Bachmann steamers were.

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_697&products_id=10461

It could be a challenge for a new user.
I would love to do it but eyes do not permit doing this anymore.

Edit. According to the SoundTraxx selector page it takes a 28MM speaker and baffle kit.

Rich