News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-2 Turnout Derailments

Started by BobZ, January 17, 2021, 10:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobZ

I have a new Bachmann 2-8-2 that frequently derails when going through EZ-Track turnouts (44561/44562). Seems to occurs when going into the turnout points and/or going over the frog. Would filing down the top edge of the points help or eliminate the problem?
Thanks.

jonathan

Bobz,

This is going to be a bit of a check-list.  I have two of the 2-8-2s, so I have some experience with this loco.

Locomotive:

1.  Typically, Bachmann steamers have lead trucks that are out of gage.  Sometimes, the truck is mounted upsidedown or otherwise not mounted ideally.  Check the pony truck first.

2.  The Mikado needs to be balanced.  It's a bit back-heavy.  I added weight... mostly in the smokebox area.  You want the balance between the middle drivers.  This will help prevent the drivers from riding over the rails in a turnout.

Turnout:

1. Do you have the basic turnout with a tightish radius?  Your 2-8-2 can negotiate it, but everything must be installed just so for good operation.

2.  Gently filing with a needle file, around the points, can help.  The filing should occur on the point where it touches the outside rail.  Doesn't take much.

3.  A lot of frogs, from most manufacturers, can sit a tiny bit higher than the rails.  This can cause wheels to ride up over the frog.  Again, some gently filing on top of the frog can help.

4.  A great tool is the HO gage track/wheel tool.  Kadee makes a great one.  This can help you make sure all the turnout parts are properly alligned.

Well, that should be enough to get you started.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

BobZ

Jonathan,
Loco:
1. Lead truck seems to be in gage.
2. How did you add weight to the smokebox area?
Turnouts:
1. Yes to the basic turnout although I've had some derailments on a #5.
2. Not done yet.
3. Frogs seem to be flat but the gap within the plastic frog seems to be a bit wide allowing the lead truck wheels to drop in the gap.
     I've even had some rolling stock derail on the basic turnout.

I'll keep working on it. May try to replace some turnouts with #5s

jonathan

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,32325.0.html

That link should take you to my thread on the 2-8-2.  I attached photos of all the work on my locos, including how to remove the shell and add weight.  it's not necessarily in order, so you'll have to muddle through to find the pertinent posts.

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

If they seem to be picking the frog, try using strip styrene to shim the guard rails. I'll bet the flangeways are too wide there as well. they should be the width of a hacksaw blade and no more. You should be able to glue styrene to the guard rails with ordinary model cement.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA