News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track Turnouts

Started by BobZ, January 23, 2021, 09:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobZ

I'm looking to replace a number of 'regular' turnouts. The 'regular' turnouts use an 18" piece of track to create a parallel track.

What can be used to create a parallel track for a #4, #5, #6 turnout?

jward

what you really need is the number of degrees in the frog. For #4 that is approximately 15 degrees, #5 12 degrees, #6 10 degrees. Use whatever radius you wish to make that arc and it will get you back to parallel.  10 and 15 degrees are standard 18" radius sections, and 12 degrees is offered in one of the larger radii.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BobZ

Hunt

The short straight included with the Bachmann HO # 5 and #6 turnout is 2.25" long.

With a Bachmann HO E-Z Track #5 turnout use
     one    2.25" straight item no 44513
     one  33.25" radius 12 degree curve track item no. 44509
to bring the divergent route back to parallel with the straight route.

12 degree 33.25"
         /
      2.25"
      /
   #5 === 9" straight

I have not looked at #6 turnout but experiment using Item no. 44530 - one-third section 18" radius curved track in place of  Item 44509

Terry Toenges

I was playing around with Anyrail and the #4's and #6's. On the #6, the 1/3 18" brings it real close but not exact. On the #4, 1/2 18" brings it real close but not exact. I tried all of the other curve pieces unless I missed a combination.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

These are what each looks like. Any other curves have the straights crossing each other within three sections. I used a 4 1/2" straight between the turnout and the curve. The length of the straight won't affect the angle of the curve.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

In real life I've found the only way to get a parallel track to come out right with the #6 is to cut a 22", or larger, curve to the correct arc. Using an 18" curve pretty much defeats the purpose of using a #6 switch to begin with.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

graywolf

Hi Everyone, why do you all use fixed track which restricts you to certain dimensions. Flextrack allows you to be creative and conform the track to your needs. Also typically you only end up with joints every 36" inches instead of every 9." The electrical losses are generally greater with fixed track unless you solder each joint. When I install switches I don't solder those joints ,but rather solder thin wire jumpers across the joint around the joiner to provide conductivity. This allows me to be able to remove the switch as needed without a chance of damaging an expensive part. I merely unsolder the jumper and slide the joiner out of the way and lift the switch out. All the work that Terry went through to figure out the means to get parallel tracks would be unnecessary, just bend track as needed.

Terry Toenges

Why do you use flex track when all you have to do is snap the E-Z Track pieces together? You don't have worry about them pulling apart if you are setting up on a table or the floor which a lot of people do. Not everyone has permanent layouts.You don't have to mess with doing a bunch of soldering and all that entails. You don't have to worry about laying something underneath like cutting corks strips. You don't have to worry about messing with ballast and gluing it if you don't want because it already had roadbed. You don't have to worry about getting the flex track bent just right then cutting off a piece of it at the end to make it even. If you don't have it firmly glued in place and you change your mind, you can just unsnap it and rearrange it. And it is Bachmann's site and E-Z Track is Bachmann's track and that's why we talk about E-Z Track. I'm sure there are other sites that talk about flex track. It's E-Z Track because it's easy. My trains run just fine and I don't notice any electric losses. You have to have some type of guide when you bend the track so you get the radius you want. Do you go to a Chevy dealer and try to convince people to buy a Ford?
Feel like a Mogul.

BobZ

All that work that Terry did took approximately 15-20 minutes. I did the same thing he did.

jward

What I want to know is why y'all are messing around with store bought track when you could make your own.......and custom build it to fit whatever situation you have on your layout.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

graywolf

Gee I run Bachmann engines on my layout so I guess being on this site is OK. I actually enjoy installing track and scenery on my layout which I think is what building a RR is all about. I figure if the big boys can do it so can I only in minature.