News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC CV'S

Started by OLDERTIMER, January 25, 2021, 02:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OLDERTIMER

Hello All, I am trying to figure out whether I need to replace my dcc controller.  what I have now gives me F0 to F8 cv's there have been two controller upgrades, both giving the full range f0 to f28 cv's. what features/availabilities am I missing with my current controller?  Thank's in advance, Paul

graywolf

First off those are not CV's, but function buttons. What contoller do you now have? A full function cab/controller will allow you to change CV's which are then contolled by the function buttons, not changed by them.

OLDERTIMER

thank's gray wolf, I was trying to not shout out on the Bachmann site.  Its the original digitrax zephyr.  I'm retired and don't want to spend more than I have to.  what functions am I giving up with the current unit?  Thanks, Paul

Hunt

Paul,
If you are running Bachmann factory decoder equipped locomotives look at the Quick Start Guide for the locomotive and its CV list and you will see you are not missing out on anything important.

Not a Bachmann factory installed decoder equipped locomotive, then use its user's manual and if need be, its decoder CV list to determine what is assigned to Functions greater than F8.

If you are going to install decoders yourself then you are missing out on a long list of things.

jward

I'm just going to throw this out there. Unless you are going to be using sound equipped locomotives 8 functions are plenty. Remember the non sound decoders have up to 6 functions.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

OLDERTIMER

Jeff I have two of the Bachmann moguls with sound, and two of the Roundhouse connie's, one with factory sound and one with a Tsunami.  I presume that means I need to upgrade to the newest Zephyr.  I'd better count all my pennies.  Thanks to Gray Wolf, Hunt and J Ward for responding, Paul G.

Trainman203

Terry, once you get off the EZ Command and get something you can change CVs with , you'll never look back.  Tip:  connect your new system to an independent loop of track first for the learning curve .

Terry Toenges

Why do I even want to change CV's? I have no desire to do that. I'm perfectly happy with the way my locos run. I don't need 48 whistles and 39 bells and 67 speed steps and to able to hear every little creak and knock and bang that a loco makes. There's no reason for me to change what  ain't broke.
The next thing I know, you're going to be telling me that I would be happier with an automatic in my 'Vette instead of my stick. Then, I would have to figure you must be on drugs and that explains it.  ;D
By the way - I'm perfectly happy with my old  flip phone, too. It ain't broke either.  :)
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

Terry think of it like carrying around a spare tire and a jack. You won't need to use them often but when you need them you'll be glad you have them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

Spend a few hundred dollars for something I haven't needed in all these years I've had DCC and will sit around and collect dust? I guess could buy a surgeon's scalpel set to have around in case I ever decide I want to perform brain surgery on someone. ;D
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

The ability to do resets and change CVs has saved me on numerous occasions, from decoders that lost programming to various idiosynchrosies in the locomotives themselves. One notable example occurred on several Bachmann DCC OnBoard  units I have. While pulling heavy trains downgrade, they would lock up and slide for a second or two before restarting and repeating the process. With some experimentation I found that adjusting the deceleration rate cured the problem. I suspect the culprit was due to "Bucking" in the gear train, and the units not having flywheels exacerbated the problem. Adjusting the deceleration rate compensated for the lack of a flywheel and solved the problem.

Which begs the question: If all you're going to do is run them in circles on seperate loops. Why DCC at all? You could do that with a couple of DC power packs just as easily without a $200 investment.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

Because I've had the EZ Command for years for one. I  can run a variety of locos at the same time at different speeds. I have sound and can turn it on and off as well as the lights.Today I'm running separate loops. Tomorrow I might have them connected with turnouts. The next day I might take a notion to remove the turnouts and put in crossings. I don't get stuck in the rut of having to work with the same layout for years. Some folks like permanent layouts. I like variety. I get bored with one arrangement after a while, I do something else.
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

Good explanation. I wasn't trying to be rude just curious. I held off DCC for many years until I saw its operating potential. I'm very familiar with running multiple trains on DC with block control and sometimes I forget not everybody does that.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Hunt

Terry,
How do you reset a decoder's CVs to their factory default value when circumstances make it necessary to do so?

Terry Toenges

Hunt - It has never been necessary to do so. I've never had one mess up.
Feel like a Mogul.