2-8-0 Missing Tiny Screw On Drive Rod Attachment

Started by BobZ, January 26, 2021, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobZ

I have a new Bachmann 2-8-0 that has a missing 'part'. There is a very small screw that attaches the drive rods and reversing lever to the main driver. When I took the loco out of the box the reversing lever was hanging loose. I couldn't find it anywhere in the box. Does anyone know what size it may be and/or where I might find a replacement.
I sent a message to Bachmann but haven't received a response. Exploded view documentation doesn't get to that level of detail.

Any help appreciated.

rich1998

This will not be much help but i suspect it will be Metric. All my Bachmann locos came with Metric hardware.
Look at the opposite side for the type of top the screw has.
The is one steamer I do not have.

Rich

jonathan

Bobz,

All of the valve gear attachments are held in by rivets. Not sure I understand which part is detached.

Here is a close up of the drive mechanism for the 2-8-0:

DSC_0521_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

The "reversing" unit is a plastic part that is press fit, with its plastic rod connected to the first bracket with a plastic pin into a small hole.  The following metal "moving" rods of the valve gear are all connected with rivets and pins until you get to the eccentric crank.  There is a long, shouldered screw that connects the eccentric crank, drive rods, and 3rd driver.

Is that the screw that is missing?  If so, don't email Bachmann.  They tend not to respond.  You will have to call the service department and speak directly to their repair folks.  Hard to get through, but the repair folks are great, who really want to help if they can.

Anyway, based on the above photo, I hope you can describe the missing screw or rivet.  I have a rivet tool and small rivets for this kind of repair.  Though I've only used it to build mechanisms for old Varney and Bowser kits.

Regards,

Jonathan

BobZ

Jonathan,

The following metal "moving" rods of the valve gear are all connected with rivets and pins until you get to the eccentric crank.  There is a long, shouldered screw that connects the eccentric crank, drive rods, and 3rd driver.

It is the screw in the picture.

jonathan

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_86&products_id=9816&zenid=2t58sdb19eknbui61gesde9au7

Bobz,

If you head over to the parts dept (Tab marked, "Parts, Service & Information") There is a universal drive rod screw, used for most of the B'Mann steamers.  Costs 30 cents US.  God knows what shipping will cost.

Part No.  H114X-MT055

If you are missing the spacer (goes between drive rod and eccentric crank), you can either make one (that's what I would do), or order the 2-8-0 drivers with side rods... which is sold out of course.

This part has a known history of coming loose.  Not quite tightened enough from the factory.  On my checklist when I acquire a new or used 2-8-0.  When you get a replacement, a little blue thread locker on the back of the wheel would be helpful.  Also, put some lube under the eccentric crank.  That is the most active moving part on the loco. Just sayin'

Regards,

Jonathan

BobZ

Jonathan, Thanks for your help. I'll check Parts. I had another loco, a 2-8-2 that had a loose screw that I found early on.

Like you said, they're .30 ea. If I order 10 (can't hurt to have extra) the shipping is $7.30. What a deal. LMAO

BobZ

I now have 10 tiny screws, Part No.  H114X-MT055, in my possession. If anyone happens to need one or two contact me.