Bachmann American Freedom GS4 Model #50205

Started by lirrman, January 30, 2021, 03:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lirrman

Several years ago I purchased a Bachmann American Freedom GS4 locomotive model #50205.  Box states it's a DCC equipped locomotive w/DCC On-Board. I purchased it to upgrade my AFT Bachmann PLUS GS4. I use straight DC.  It runs great but I found that my switching operation was not friendly to backing up this loco, which I do into stations.  The wires connecting the tender to the locomotive were stiff enough to constantly derail the tender.  I though about adding more weight to the tender but it looked too difficult.  I went back to my PLUS model and it backs without a problem. The new loco, which has been run only 3 or 4 times, has been sitting in the box ever since. Although this loco has DCC on-board, it is not equipped with sound.  I am thinking about selling it. E-bay is listing two Bachmann-PLUS AFTs one for $275 buy it now and one for $299 starting bid price.  There are five DCC models listed, with sound, ranging from $247 to $319.  I can not find my exact model, 50205, on E-bay, or even on Bachmann's site, and have no idea how much to ask for it.  It's an up-grade from the PLUS models and less than the DCC models with sound.  I was thinking a fair price would be $225.  I guess the model I have has been discontinued.  Any suggestions.

rich1998

I bought a 4-6-0 with onboard decoder and it came with a DC adapter. Maybe yours did also.
I believe two screws will release the tender shell. The Information page will show you. You can add weight to the front of the tender.
I took a small pair of long nose scissors from my wife's sewing box and slit the clear plastic tubing that covers the wires between the tender and loco. That made a difference. now those wires look like hoses with black dye on them.

Rich

lirrman

let me understand.  You just removed the casing on the wire, you didn't cut the wires, they are still connected.

rich1998

Yes. I had the loco and tender upside down in a cradle but had to be very careful not to cut the wires. I lifted the bundle as I remember so the wires were together at the bottom of the clear tubing and slit the top carefully.
You might unplug the loco, carefully. Just take your time. The scissors had long points and very nice for this. Women use them for sewing projects. Small and about maybe three inches long. Maybe a sharp A-Xacto knife upside down could do it.

Rich

jward

Quote from: rich1998 on January 30, 2021, 05:00:43 PM
. I lifted the bundle as I remember so the wires were together at the bottom of the clear tubing and slit the top carefully.
Maybe a sharp A-Xacto knife upside down could do it.

Rich

That's how I would approach this. I've slit cables before this way to avoid damaging the conductors inside. The trick is to keep the point and sharp side of the knife pointed away from the conductors as much as possible. With them in the bottom of the cable as much as possible, insert the exacto blade gently into the cable and slice upward. Once you get it started you may be able to just peel the cable insulation back the rest of the way.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA