Code of conduct - good on Bachmann

Started by Slomopiot, February 01, 2021, 02:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slomopiot

I appreciate very much Bachmann's Code of Conduct for their forums. I would have added this as a reply to the original Code of Conduct thread but it's been locked. And my post here may be redundant and taken down but here goes . . . .

Today on another model train forum (not a Bachmann forum), I had an encounter with a guy that was just downright nasty. He took exception to something I said about a post on some causes of derailments; I was just repeating what had been said in another thread and wasn't even saying it in a negative context. But this guy stopped just short of publicly calling me a liar. I did a little digging and he's obviously an extremely accomplished model railroader - he's likely forgotten more about the hobby than I'll ever know. But even so, don't wear your superior knowledge on your sleeve. In one way or another, we're all here seeing a bit of help. I hear all the time about 'our hobby's dying'. . . . yep; and it's guys like that who are highballing it's demise on the mainline. In fact, the reason that I was on that particular thread was to get some information for someone  that is brand new to the hobby . . . and had just had a very rude experience with a train store owner !

There's an old saying that goes, "If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all." Keeping this hobby going is enough of a challenge; let's not add to the challenge.

Update 1: Today, the guy posted a challenge to me on the aforementioned forum thread to prove with a link to what I'd quoted from another thread. Really ? If I had the knowledge and layout that this guy had, picking fights with strangers would be the last thing I'd waste my time doing !

Geeper

Thanks for your thoughts on code of conduct... I agree. This forum (discussion board) is just that ...a peaceful and respectful place to discuss success and failure in our hobby. To ask questions, learn new techniques and to provide/receive education. Confrontational or argumentative behavior is just immature and uncivilized behavior.
I was also challenged once on a different forum by the moderator as I disagreed with their position. I was polite and explained my views. Moderator wanted a link... which I provided. I was then 'blocked' by the moderator because my link (video) disproved their stated position. Very strange indeed... knowledge is just that and what works for some, will NOT work for others. That is part of life... some people just fight their way through life. They don't enjoy being a small part of a truly great hobby. God Bless...