News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

operating session

Started by graywolf, February 01, 2021, 11:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

graywolf

Can someone explain to me what is the signifcance of facing point and trailing point when moving cars in an operating session. I understand it is referring to the switches, but what does it matter?

Ken Huck

Facing point is like exiting the interstate via an off-ramp without stopping.  Tailing point you have to pass
through the switch, then reverse and back into the stub.

HTH

Ken

jward

The difference is as crucial in an operating session as it is on the real railroads. trailing point sidings are easier and quicker to service, and on a busy line you may not have alot of time to work those industries. Facing point industries require time consuming runaround movements that tie up the mainline, delaying other trains. It is easier to run local freights as turn jobs and work the line in one direction going out and the other direction coming back.

My comments here reflect operations on a larger layout, where numerous people are running trains at the same time. On such a layout, there are usually high priority train that must get through, and a pecking order for the other trains in which the local is the lowest priority.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA