I bought a used Bachmann 0-6-0 locomotive that is labeled "Great Northern 56"

Started by midiman, January 06, 2021, 08:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midiman

Greetings,

This is my first post. I purchased several new DCC locomotives recently and I'm enjoying them a lot.

I also bought a used Bachmann 0-6-0 locomotive that is labeled "Great Northern 56" with a Vandy tender. On the rear of
the loco and on the bottom it says DCC. I'm assuming the DCC was added, but I'm not sure. It came addressed as # 56 on my layout, and "0" turns the front headlight on and off.

My question, does anyone know if this unit make or create smoke, and if so, what kind of fluid should I buy?

Thanks in advance! - Steve

jonathan

The most recent versions of the 0-6-0 all came with DCC onboard from the factory.

They also came with a smoke generator.  If you look in the cab, there should be a very small on/off switch for controlling the smoke.

My recommendation would be to leave with switch "off" and not use the smoke. 

If you don't see a switch in the cab, then yours came without smoke.  That would be unusual.  I have removed the smoke coils on my 0-6-0s and filled the space with weight for added traction.

Regards,

Jonathan

midiman

Jonathan,

I'm going to take your advice and not use the smoke feature. Thank you for your reply- Steve :)

Geeper

My 0-6-0 GN #58 came with NO smoke switch inside the cab. But it does make smoke. Also the loco is very light at 9.4 oz. (poor traction) so I'll add some weight once I understand how to properly remove the 0-6-0 shell.
Also the Vandy Tender came with "plastic" wheels/axles that do not turn properly. I've ordered a truck tuner to clean the truck journals and will replace the cheapo plastic with metal wheels.
Question: Anyone know the proper axle length for the 0-6-0 Vandy Tender???
I was surprised that only some locomotives come with full instructions on "shell removal".
IMO, every locomotive sold by Bachmann and Walthers should come with complete instructions on shell removal.
After thought: I would really like Bachmann and Walthers to offer "additional shells" when you buy their original locomotive.  This 0-6-0 I would have bought 2-3 additional shells GN, NP, CB&Q, etc.