News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Overland Express train set DCC ready?

Started by DougTOO, February 11, 2021, 09:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougTOO

LukeM

From what i can see the train set straight out of the box isn't DCC you could always buy the parts and make it DCC.

Luke

rich1998

A search at Amazon seems to say, no. The box should be labeled DCC if it is. Check the Information page for the loco and see what the loco looks like if it can be DCC. If you are new to DCC, it can be a challenge.

Rich

DougTOO

https://k3dug.smugmug.com/Other/General-Photos/i-JffgFkK/A is what I found inside the loco. Looks like a solder header. The wire color seems to follow NMRA DCC decoders. The chassis of the motor is isolated from the wheels. No place for a speaker but it looks like the Bachmann decoder with wiring harness would fit. Any body disagree?

rich1998

Tough to see the photo. Eyes not so good. My 44 ton came DCC ready with a PC board with markings numbered for DCC wires. I soldered a DZ125 decoder first. NMRA specs. Removed two metal clips first.
Eventually converted to DCC sound.
The DZ125 was quite small. Probably on ebay now. Good for one amp.

Rich

Len

Most Bachmann boards have some, or all, of these markings:

R:    Right Rail
L:    Left Rail
M+: Motor Brush Connected to Right Rail
M-:  Motor Brush Connected to Left Rail
L+:  Light Positive
L-:   Light Negative
B+: Battery Positive*
B-: Battery Negative*

*Some boards allow the addition of a reed switch On/Off controlled battery pack for operation, rather than using track power.

Your board appears to use "LED" instead of "L" and the wire colors do appear to conform to the NMRA standard. If you replace the board with a DCC Decoder, unless the decoder is specifically designed to work with LEDs, you'll need to add a current dropping resister to protect the LEDs from burnout.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.