News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Idea for your End of Train Device

Started by keystonefarm, February 18, 2021, 02:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keystonefarm

I've been using your End of Train Device # 42907  to add working markers to my PRR/PC cabin car fleet. I already have wheel pickup for signalling so I remove the circuit board from the truck and install it inside my cabins. I use a nano led for the marker. If you make a Caboose truck to accept the circuit board and make the wires a bit longer to the flashing rear end device you could use it to add working markers to your existing caboose line and if offered as a separate item this would allow modelers to add the markers to their caboose fleet. If you would like to see a sample let me know . ------------- Ken

jward

You really don't need track power for a flasher on a caboose. Batteries work just as well. I'm not sure what voltage the actual flasher circuit works off of. It's undoubtedly stepped down from the track power voltage. When I built my own flashers using a common circuit with a capacitor and a 555 timer chip, the whole thing would run off a 1.5v AA battery, and the current draw was so low the battery would last well over a year.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

Today with SMT components, you can make a small light flasher quite easily. Many circuits on the Internet.
Back in the 80's I made a few with the LM555.

Rich

wjstix

I have two of the Bachmann freight cars factory-equipped with the flashing EOT and am very impressed by how well they work. I would love to see Bachmann use that technology to add working markers to their very nice bay window caboose models as an option.

rich1998