News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Sound Value on board

Started by banjoman, March 13, 2021, 01:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

banjoman

Hello,

I've just purchased a Bachmann HO scale 4-6-0 Baldwin 52 steam locomotive. It came preloaded with DCC and a "DCC Sound Value card" (by Soundtraxx) on board. The train runs great - engine sounds are great. I want to change the sound of the steam whistle. I am running a Digitrax Zephyr Express controller. The manual that came with Digitrax says to refer to the sound decoder guide that came with the locomotive. What sound decoder guide? I didn't receive one. I got a warranty card with explanation. I got a "Quick Start Guide". Nothing I got had a list CV's, what they do, or how to get to them. What type of decoder is on board? Should I be contacting SoundTraxx?

Now, in all fairness, I am almost 80 years old and do not have a real great knowledge of electronics. But, is there a manual with the CV's listed? AND, how to install or modify CV's. I'm sure it's probably pilot error.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks, Mike

rich1998

Welcome.

Take some time to look through all the Bachmann site.

This link will show you all the CV's for different locos.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dcc.php

I bought that loco about eight years ago with sound onboard but not sound value.

Good luck.

Rich

jward

this is the sheet with CV default values taken directly from the Soundtraxx web site.....

https://soundtraxx.com/content/Reference/Factory-Installed/Bachmann/SoundValue/bachmann_ho_460_sv.pdf

CVs are not installed, they are part of the decoder programming. As such, you can access them and adjust the values using the directions in your Zephyr owners manual. You do this on your programming track. Note that some Bachmann decoders require a 1000 ohm resistor across the rails of the programming track in order to change the decoder settings.

I am a longtime user of the Zephyr, with both the DCS50 and DCS 51 models. I do not know what all has been changed on the DCS52 other than the addition of the screen in place of the original readouts.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Hunt

Mike,

Click Here for a list of supported CVs and their factory default value.

You have a selection of three whistle sounds,
Whistle Selections:
   Nathan 5- Chime (default) 0
   B&O 3-Chime                   1
   C&S 74 Yard Mix               2

Write a value for the whistle sound you want to CV 115.

banjoman

Thanks for all the great info!
Mike

OLDERTIMER

Mike, I just got a Zephyr express about a week ago.  It comes with a manual and a Mobile & Sound Decoder Manual Second Edition.  If you didn't get one of the latter You'll need to contact you're dealer or Digitrax.  It has 85 pages and seems to be packed with Info. 

Jeff, I haven't had a chance to connect my DCS 52 up yet but it comes with a plug to connect directly to a computer without an adapter and, if I remember correctly , instructions on the screen.  Paul G :)   

jward

I may have to get one of those. If I do, I'll have all three generations of the Zephyr.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

Some years ago when I bought the high driver version Spectrum with onboard sound I opened 8up the tender. I saw the sound decoder looked like the DCC ready PC board and had a short cable that plugged into the eight pin socket on the DCC ready board. The 8instructions back then were clear. I knew not all CV's were there compared to full blown Tsunami's.
In fact it came with the DC adapters.

Rich

Hunt

Quote from: jward on March 20, 2021, 02:12:41 PM
I may have to get one of those. If I do, I'll have all three generations of the Zephyr.

Anyone considering a Digitrax DCS52 Zephyr Express; be sure you are getting one with the latest firmware update and familiarize yourself what is required to update firmware.