News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Installing DCC in the newest HO 0-6-0

Started by SpectrumUser, March 29, 2021, 12:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpectrumUser

I have recently purchased one of the newest HO 0-6-0 switchers and intend to install a sound decoder and speaker in the tender. I have the connectors, etc. needed so that is not the issue. It appears that the motor is electrically isolated in this model. My main intention here is to verify that fact and any information about the little CB on top of the frame would also be appreciated. Thanks!
John T.

SpectrumUser

OK, Bachmann service has gotten back to me and the motor is isolated. I need to know more about what  the little circuit board does on top of the chassis. A diagram would be a godsend.

jonathan

John T.,

I have played around with these 0-6-0s quite a bit.  The only electronics in the loco, that I recall, are the small decoder and the on/off switch for the smokebox.

This is a link to one of my posts about it:

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18444.0.html

I realize that is has been 8 years (wow) since I disassembled this loco, but I am very surprised that there might be some new circuit board inside the shell.  The 0-6-0 I have from the 80's is very similar to my 2012 version-- except for DCC on board of course.

Oh, I've noticed all HO model manufacturers tend NOT to share detailed diagrams of their locomotives--not just a Bachmann thing.  Deciphering those rough diagrams given are quite challenging sometimes.

Regards,

Jonathan

SpectrumUser

Nice work on the details, Jonathan! I tried to post a picture of the new board but the forum only allows 128kb and my picture files are too large.
John T.

Len

You cannot post pictures directly to the forums. It's long past time for that Attach: button to be eliminated from the posting screen. You have to upload them to a picture hosting site and then link the pics url here using image tags.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

SpectrumUser

OK, just joined yesterday so have a lot to learn!

SpectrumUser

OK, the DCC/sound installation is finished with good results. I kind of bypassed the new cb by soldering track pickup wires to the weight/frame at the top and soldered wires directly to the motor wires after clipping them from the cb. There was plenty of room to run the 4 wires down the side of the motor and out the bottom on the fireman's side and back to a 4-pin plug. I decided to let the light be track powered as I don't turn it off much anyway. The very roomy tender now houses an original "series 1" SoundTraxx Tsunami decoder, a speaker enclosure glued under the coal load  and a SoundTraxx Current  KeeperII. I drilled tiny holes through the coal load for the sound to escape. Other than those holes, the only other mod I did was to trade out the plastic wheel sets for metal ones. Now on to the super detailing!

jward

I have several 2012 era 0-6-0s without DCC, and they have a small circuit board inside. the four wires you absolutely need for DCC operation (the two motor leads and the two track power leads) all go to this board, so it is a really simple matter to just unsolder them from the board and hardwire a decoder.  I opted to mount my decoder on the locomotives themselves, not wanting any wires to interfere with the slot and hook coupling between the locomotive and tender. I used Z scale decoders dropped into the cavity where the smoke unit once sat. So far I've had no problems with this system.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA