News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Non-Bachmann bridges

Started by 2ManyHobbies, April 09, 2021, 02:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2ManyHobbies

Quote from: Terry Toenges on April 10, 2021, 07:08:56 PM
A lot of Bachmann locos pull much better when weight is added. I have that 2-6-0 and added some weight in the cab and the front deck. I had issues trying to pull five old time passenger cars. Once I added weight, I was able to pull nine old time passenger cars. In the video, I'm trying to see how slow I can go and still pull the cars. Since you are going to be dealing with a grade, extra weight would really help. Since the tender blocks most of the view of the cab inside, it's not that visible unless you get real close at eye level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf6JaSo20NI

Thank you very much for the pictures, that is super helpful! What did you use as weight if I may ask.

Terry Toenges

The cab ones are K & L stick on wheel weights. I think I cut one down for the front and filed some off so it would fit, then painted it.

I've used stick on weights for pine wood derby cars on some things.

I've also used split shot for like in balloon stacks and small cabs.
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

If you've got room, nothing is cheaper than pennies. I've used them to weight tank cars, glued in stacks then place on edge in each end of the tank. 1 oz costs you 5 cents.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

I have metal wheels on all my passenger cars so they are heavier than some of the stock cars out there with plastic wheels. I guess the Bachmann train set freight cars still have plastic wheels so there is less weight for yours to pull than if the freight cars had metal wheels.
Feel like a Mogul.

2ManyHobbies

Quote from: jward on April 11, 2021, 09:19:08 AM
If you've got room, nothing is cheaper than pennies. I've used them to weight tank cars, glued in stacks then place on edge in each end of the tank. 1 oz costs you 5 cents.

This is funny. 5 cents in the cab and there is probably room for 2 more. The front deck can't hold a dime, way too small. Will have to try an alternative.

Quote from: Terry Toenges on April 11, 2021, 12:39:36 PM
I have metal wheels on all my passenger cars so they are heavier than some of the stock cars out there with plastic wheels. I guess the Bachmann train set freight cars still have plastic wheels so there is less weight for yours to pull than if the freight cars had metal wheels.

Yep, all plastic wheels and the cheap plastic couplers. I think I may end up upgrading soon once I get things the way I like.

Funny how this started with "will this bridge work" and now moving on to installing ballast. Great stuff.

jward

Found my other 2-6-0. This one is in the standard line. Basically it is the 0-6-0 with a pony truck added. It did slightly less well than the Alco 2-6-0, pulling 6 cars up the 3% and only 4 cars on the 4%.

So, if you double up on the piers to lessen the grade you should be able to pull 6 or 7 cars. If you use a single pier set, probably 3 cars is all you'll manage.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

crosswire

Since this thread got derailed, I will ask about a 4-8-4 with DCC that will not pull 5 light passenger cars (two axle trucks and no body weights) up a straight 2% grade. Initially, the drivers spun and the loco stopped moving, then I added traction tires to one driver and now the motor stalls and the loco still stops moving. Track and wheels have been cleaned.

Ideas?

jward

I'm more concerned about the motor stalling than the lack of pulling power. Stalling a DC motor will weaken it, and possibly burn it out. It sounds like you have a weak motor already. As for the locomotive slipping on a 2% grade, what did you clean your tracks and wheels with?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

crosswire

Hi Jeffery,

The motor is a brand new motor, purchased from Bachmann, that was designed for a Niagra. The new motor has what appears to be capacitors soldered between the frame and the motor brushes; the old motor did not have these capacitors. I tried disconnecting the capacitors with no change in performance.

I have loosened the bottom plate, under the drivers, as suggested in another thread. I have tried modifying some of the CVs on the decoder for more power or torque compensation. These last two changes allow the loco to just barely get 4 passenger cars with three axle trucks up the grade.

As for the tracks, I typically wipe them clean with a dry cloth and then a light pass with 400 or 600 grit sand paper. The wheels are cleaned by removing built-up crud with an Exacto knife, followed by an alcohol wipe. The rails on the 2% grade are brass.

jward

The capacitors I've seen are to minimize interference with radios and TVs nearby. I believe they are mandated in the EU.

You mentioned that the engine runs better backwards, can it pull more running in reverse?

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

crosswire

Jeffery,
In reverse, I am still limited to 4 cars, but they go up the grade a little faster.

jward

It sounds to me like you have a bind in the drive somewhere. I am by no means an expert on steam locomotives, but there should be enough torque in a new motor to spin the wheels. You should be getting alot of wheelslip when the limits of the locomotive are reached, even with traction tires. Perhaps somebody familiar with the intricacies of steam locomotives can guide you from here, most of my fleet is diesel, and much simpler to troubleshoot.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

crosswire

Jeffery,

No wheel slip at any time after I changed one driver to traction tires.

jward

But you're stalling the motor and that's not good.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

crosswire

Jeffery,

I understand the overload on the motor, but, 3 cars on a 2% grade to minimize wheel slip seems pretty weak for a 4-8-4. I do have some level areas where I can run the loco and pull 6 cars without the traction tires. I expected the loco to be a better puller. Oh well.

Thanks for chiming in on this one.

John