News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Stacking track

Started by 2ManyHobbies, April 13, 2021, 10:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2ManyHobbies

Is it possible to stack track one above another? I'm not married to my proposed layout but it is darn cool idea if it works (in my opinion). Practical in no sense of the word, no chance of this being a real scenario, but cool. I believe I know the answer but wanted to check.

Reason I ask is because Bachmann piers will block the track as will Atlas piers. If it matters, the track is for a streetcar or a trolley.

Len

You could use something like this to put one track directly over another:
https://itlascalemodels.com/collections/elevated-the-l/products/ho-new-york-style-2-track-elevated-starter-kit

You could even scratch build your own using styrene parts.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

Some folks have done it.

In real life.

Feel like a Mogul.

2ManyHobbies

Quote from: Len on April 13, 2021, 12:26:45 PM
You could use something like this to put one track directly over another:
https://itlascalemodels.com/collections/elevated-the-l/products/ho-new-york-style-2-track-elevated-starter-kit

You could even scratch build your own using styrene parts.

Len

Ok, this stuff is absolutely beautiful. Wow. I mean, my layout was only a single track but now I'm wondering if i should go to double track after seeing this. Just wow. Thank you very much.

Quote from: Terry Toenges on April 13, 2021, 12:56:26 PM
Some folks have done it.

Could you educate me for a minute? I have seen the girders sold but I have not seen them used like this (elevating the track bed up). It was always a bridge with the girders as side barriers. Is this necessary for the elevated track or was this a preference for whoever built this?

Terry Toenges

I just copied the pic from the O Gauge Forum so I know nothing about the builder or the use of the girders. Sorry.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

How the girders were used varied from system to system. Unlike the model scene shown, the girders were normally straight, connected at an angle, not curved. Ties would be laid on the straight girders, then the curved track on the ties. As can be seen in this construction pic from NYC:

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

stacking tracks one above the other is commonly done in a Helix.

If you want the stacked tracks visible, one easy way to provide support would be to make your own piers from 4.5 to 5 inch lengths of 1x4 lumber laid on edge with an arch cut through them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA