News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need help disassembling engine

Started by JimOb, May 16, 2021, 05:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimOb

I have a DC Bachmann 0-6-0 switcher with a slope-tank tender. I can't figure out how to get the body off either the engine or the tender.  I've managed to remove enough screws so that the rear of the engine body is loose, but the front is still firmly attached to the frame, and I can't find any more screws. With the tender, it appears that I should be able to just pull the body off, but so far, spreading the plastic doesn't seem to work, and I can't pull a lot harder.  I'd appreciate any hints.  Thanks!

jonathan

It depends how old your loco is.

In the older 0-6-0s, it's simply a matter of pulling up very hard on the shell, after the rear screw is removed.  Sound like you've found the rear screw already.

Just  behind the steam chests, you'll find some tabs that help hold the shell on.  They will give when pulled up hard enough. Or you might find a way to spread those tabs a bit before lifiting.

On the newer 0-6-0s (DCC), there are two very tiny screws behind the steam chests, where the tabs used to be.

SO, LOOK behind the steam chests for the source of the trouble when attempting to lift the shell.

On the tender:  There is a single screw on the bottom which is hard to see.  If you look, you'll find it.  The tender shell will lift off fairly easy once that screw is removed.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Jonathan

JimOb

Jonathan, thanks for the info.  I have a newer version.  On the loco, I had already removed those two tiny screws.  So I guess I'll just try to pry the shell off in a more forceful way.  Regarding the tender, I saw that screw, but the Bachmann exploded diagram made it look like it just held the weights in place.  Removing that screw did the trick.  I really appreciate the time you took to help me out on this.  Hopefully I can get the shell off the loco with some more prying, without breaking something.