News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

layout pics! finally...

Started by kevin2083, January 02, 2008, 11:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2083

A wye was originally in the plan, but that would have required me taking down one of the hills, plus I got the turntable for Christmas.

Quote from: Paul M. on January 06, 2008, 09:34:55 PM
It all looks good, but i have a suggestion:

You should weather everything in the crapyard. If you drybrush it should look good enough.

Most of the stuff in the scrapyard is weathered, but the flash on the camera randomly decided to go off, so not much can be seen. The flash only came on for pics 1 and 3.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

TonyD

did the prototype RR have a turntable? shays and such didn't turn very often, usually a wye added to a branch or spur on flat terrain-in the woods or something, where there's more room on co. property. Can the turntable go in one of the corners? with a single stall and small water & oil tanks? Might fit in the 1st view's end., I remember there were geared engines into the early 70's here and there, as spare power, and hey, my pike has scenes from the 1850's to the 1970's- from northern Canada to southern Africa, as long as the 'stuff' in each scene doesn't look out of place, and way different scenes aren't abutting, some countryside inbetween, it's a hobby right! Every now and then a beyer garret rattles thru a new England mill town and an espee cab forward roars into a Quebec village, does it matter? Unless you are interested in a 'operation night' layout,I'd avoid too many switches, crowds the scene sometimes, you are blessed with long lonesome straights, like the nice long shot at the mill. Very central valley feel! Yes, the junkyard needs more 'tulare dust' or rust colored chaulk or dry brushing,too much fresh red! wheither or not the flash caused it, put some spot lights up while you are shooting, maybe you won't need the flash at all-but -wow! the 44 tonner at the crossing I thought was a real snapshot until I saw the next view  with the building.....when all the pics turn out like that one, you will have perfected model railroading.....awesome job!! 
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

kevin2083

Quotedid the prototype RR have a turntable?
No. In fact, the shays never turned around for the entire 42 years that they were on the railroad(reverse towards camino, forwards to Placerville). There isn't much information on the Placerville yard, and maybe it did have a turntable or something to turn the locos around in the steam days, I don't know. I think I read somewhere that the yard had 8 tracks. But, since the layout is set sometime after the railroad went out of business, it is not really following the prototype very well.

I'm slowly getting back into the layout room after surgery, and that scrap yard is towards the top of the 'list' of things to work on. First, I have to re-lay some track so that those 44 tonners can make it through the entire layout, but, of course, most of the track causing problems is in a 6' tunnel. The back is open, but 3 inches of clearance isn't very good for track work.

Thanks for all the input

______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

robman

Hi, I just had a look at your pics,great layout and I hope you post more as you progress. Cheers Rob in NZ.
Modeling over there over here

kevin2083

I'll see if I can post some more if I can get hold of a camera that focuses better.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

TonyD

As I said earlier, GET MORE LIGHT! digital cameras can't focus in low light like a SLR that you could twist and leave. Any old lights, but one that aims right to the area you are shooting at will almost certainly do the trick, you got to try that before you go camera shopping, our money should be spent on trains.. only on trains...
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler