News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GP30 S4 Shell Noise with Quiet Motor

Started by Geeper, February 27, 2023, 12:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geeper

Hi JWard, This shell noise occurs in both DC and DCC. It goes away when shell is removed in both DC and DCC. Turning DCC sound on/off doesn't matter, sound happens with shell on... goes away with shell off.

Hi Benjamen: Wonderful link (thanks) with lots of information to digest. Will read it 2-3 times to get whole picture of problem and solutions, thanks again.
I like that HO Stnd Gauge and coupler photo. I check all my rolling stock when I get them, or complete a kit build, and also after any maintenance work. To date I've been lucky and a simple knuckle coupler swap-out as always worked. I keep a stock of EZ Mate Mark II couplers in under, over and center shank, with both medium and long shank. My F3A, F7A and F9A I always need to use "long shank" to make uncoupling easier.   

Desert Rose

While we are on the maintenance and repair topic you might want to look at this link, it's for repairing split gears.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php?msg=278975

Geeper

Hi Benjamen; Great site, thanks. I've replaced about 10 split axle gears on Proto 2000 locos with complete drop in wheel/gear units ($$$). Wish I had kept the old split gears... now that you have taught me how to repair the split gear itself. I learn something new everyday... thanks again.

jward

With those Proto2000 split gears, in most cases Athearn gears are drop in replacements for the Proto parts. If you have any of the older Athearn blue box locomotives, when you replace the wheelsets on your Proto2000 units, save the wheels  (not the split gear) and use them to replace the sintered metal wheels on the Athearns. That way, you upgrade two locomotives for the price of one. Those old Athearn wheels work fine on DC, but pick up and hold too much crud for reliable DCC operation.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Geeper

Hi JWard... Good information on Athearn wheels, many thanks. Also points out need to do Loco maintenance annually, to include cleaning wheels.  :)