Fitting a NMRA decoder to a Bachmann 2-10-0

Started by townfan, January 02, 2008, 10:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

townfan

Hello
I am new to the model railroad hobby, and have recently bought a DCC ready 2-10-0 Russian Decapod. I understand that the decoder goes into an 8 pin socket inside the tender from looking at previous posts. When I remove the tender "hood", where can I find the blanking plug ( i.e is it on top of the circuit board that lies directly underneath the hood or underneath the circuit board ? I am not sure what this blanking plug looks like
Are there any step-by step instructions anywhere for this loco ? I have scoured the web for this particular engine but have not found anything.

Any advice to prevent mydestruction of this fine loco's electrics would be appreciated.

Thanks

SteamGene

If the Decapod's various tenders come apart the way the other Spectrum tenders do, you will find a screw just behind the front trucks.  Unscrew that screw.  It's small and black.  Don't loose it.  At the rear are two tabs, on either side of the coupler pocket.  Lift the shell and move it forward and the innards are visible.  There is a small green curcuit board and on top of it is an oval piece of a light brown color with eight metal parts visible.  This is the shorting plug.  Pry it loose gently with a small screw driver and insert the decoder, making sure that plug one goes into socket one. 
If your decoder is just about any one but a Bachmann, it will be necessary to cut the capacitors. 
Merry Ninth Day of Christmas. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

RAM

I have seen many post that said to cut the capacitors.  Is this only on Bachmann decoders, and sound decoders.  What about engines that come from Bachmann with decoders already installed.  Do they have capacitors or not?

SteamGene

If you keep the Bachmann decoders, you do not need to cut the capacitors.  For all others that I know of,  the capacitors must be cut.  In other words, if you have a Bachmann with Decoder on Board and you want to install a Tsunami, the capacitors need to be cut.
Merry Ninth Day of Christmas.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Isambard

Quote from: RAM on January 02, 2008, 03:01:30 PM
I have seen many post that said to cut the capacitors.  Is this only on Bachmann decoders, and sound decoders.  What about engines that come from Bachmann with decoders already installed.  Do they have capacitors or not?

I have four "Russians" with Digitrax DH123 decoders installed. I have not found it necessary to cut the capacitor leads, although I have done it in the case of one of my four Spectrum 2-8-0's which behaved erratically.

townfan

Thanks for the advice Stemegene. The plug was in fact rectangular, but other than that, you were right on the money. I am all set, the decoder is on its way and should go in without a problem
Its the 10th day of Christmas, and the lords are a-leaping !

Having just taken the cover off the 44t Switcher however, I can see that this one won't be so straightforward ( no 8 pin plug )

Ian

sparkyjay31

Does the same method apply to the dcc equipped Spectrum 4-4-0?  Simply unplug the existing decoder and plug in an eight pin sound decoder?  Assuming the sizing of the decoder and speaker fit.
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

SteamGene

All my experience is that a non Bachmann decoder means cutting the capacitors.   Once upon a time Bachmann service would not say that, but the last time I talked to them, they said, "cut the capacitors."   Look under DCC in the product section.
Merry Eleventh Day of Christmas.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

kevin2083

for the 44 tonner- there are 7 small round contacts on the 'top' edge of the board (should say "H800X-PCB01  SIDE A" on the bottom edge, pins are numbered 8 1 2 4 5 6 7, in that order). the wires go in the holes in this order, from left to right: 8=red, 1=orange, 2=yellow, 4=black, 5=grey, 6=white, 7=blue.  Cut capacitors labeled C1 and C2. make sure that the un-insulated parts of the wires are kept as short as possible, or else you will probably end up with a short and a burnt out decoder. A nice small decoder would work best, as there isn't a whole lot of room. I used a MRC 1650 decoder, but many others will work too.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||