Advent of DCC - Is there still a need to have “Dummy” locomotives..

Started by Ralph S, June 07, 2023, 09:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph S

As I was working on my layout I began contemplating where to locate my train museum.  The museum will hold the steam locomotives and some old diesels (all analog).  My track is all DCC and I thought about all the "Dummy locomotives" that I have.   Since I can run several DCC loco's together, in the middle, or at the end of the train or trains.  I thought about placing dummy diesels in the museum but that will take up too much space.   I did think about having decorative locomotives (dummies) siting around the layout on some siding, but I can use the DCC locomotives to do that too.  Therefore, I'm wondering is there a need to have "dummy locomotives" anymore.

Why would anyone want or need to keep the dummy locomotives if the DCC layout can handle all locomotive variations?

Desert Rose

We still use Unpowered (dummy) locomotives in our passenger train operations. We use the Proto 2000 E6B Unpowered locomotives, E7B Unpowered locomotives and the PB Unpowered locomotives as sound wagons. In the B units we install XL 0001909 HO DCC Diesel Sound only decoder with built in 18mm speakers.

https://xlsystemsdcc.com/product/ho-dcc-diesel-sound-only-decoder-with-built-in-18mm-speaker/

The lead E6 Locomotive has a XL 0001922 HO diesel dual primer movers sound decoder w/ dual 28mm speakers drop in for Life-Like proto 2000 EMD F &E, Alco PA installed, one speaker in the A unit and one speaker in the unpowered B unit.

https://xlsystemsdcc.com/product/xl-0001922-ho-dual-primer-movers-diesel-sound-decoder-w-dual-28mm-speakers-drop-in-for-life-like-proto-2000-emd-f-e-alco-pa/

The stand alone E6B Unpowered locomotives have the 0001909 HO DCC Diesel Sound only decoders in them.

Two E6A's and three E6B's lashed up the engine sounds run out of phase from each other. Sounds just like the real thing. 

Terry Toenges

I have a dummy "B" unit to go between my F7A Warbonnets. I found a non-working Warbonnet "B" on Ebay. It was old (from the horn hook days). I took an "A" chassis that I had and gutted it. I cut a bunch of the metal out of the inside so it wasn't so heavy. I put the "B" body on it. I used the newer "A" chassis because the old "B" one had truck mounted couplers. Now I have an A-B-A set with a dummy "B".
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

As mentioned above, I have several old dummy 'A', 'B', and 'GP' units I've added sound modules to for use with other locos with regular decoders installed before sound was widely available.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Piyer

Yes, there is a need for dummies - not that manufacturers are listening. Dummies reduce the electrical load on a layout. Dummies provide the opportunity to model locomotives with open hood doors as part of a consist (this was a common thing on NYSW RS-1s as they were constantly overheating). In theory, dummies should be considerably cheaper as they can be made with a plastic frame, no motor, nor electronics, and lightweight units are cheaper to ship.

However, as Bachmann and others will tell you, dummy locomotives are not seen as economical - they have a low return on investment. And so we get limited run models with all the bells and whistles (often literally) instead of the constantly in-stock selections we had back in the 1960s, 70s, 80s, etc.  :'(
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

jward

Strictly on a personal note, I no longer use dummies, and haven't in many years. I run a mountain railroad, and although my trains are small extra powered locomotives help with the grades.

I think that if you are running newer, can motored locomotives the current draw thing is overrated. If you only run sound equipped locomotives, then you might have problems with current draw. But for me, i don't want the cacaphony of a dozen or so locomotives sitting around idling while only a couple are running.  I also feel that if you have a DCC system of sufficient capacity, and have taken steps to reduce the overall load such as isolating the tracks where you park your locomotives, then you should be OK. I've never needed more than 2 or 3 amps power at any given time.

That said, dummies can have a place on the layout. They make good stand ins sitting around a turntable, or in a long line of stored locomotives on one of your yard tracks.

Dummies made alot of sense back in the days when locomotive motors often drew an amp or more each. But these days a basic locomotive draws maybe 1/10 that, and even sound locomotives are only about 1/4 amp each.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

Modeling a 1940 branch line.  Short trains, no need for dummies.  Come to think of it, no need for any diesels either!!!!!  HAWHAWHAW!!!!!

Ralph S

Interesting,
Quote...Unpowered locomotives and the PB Unpowered locomotives as sound wagons....
I like the idea of using the dummy locomotives as sound makers.  I run into trouble with this idea due to the fact that my dummy locomotives do not have trucks with electrical pickups.  This would incur that I find electrical pickup trucks for the dummies.  I have a dummy loco that does have a headlight that lights, so I will look into that to see if adding sound will work.
QuoteIn theory, dummies should be considerably cheaper as they can be made with a plastic frame, no motor, nor electronics, and lightweight units are cheaper to ship.
I find that in reality, the dummies I've seen for sale, are less expensive, but still more costly than I would be willing to pay for.
Quote...dummies can have a place on the layout.  They make good stand ins sitting around a turntable, or in a long line of stored locomotives on one of your yard tracks.
This makes me think it's time to sale some of my dummy locomotives.  Over these many years, I've collected quite a few DCC locomotives.  I guess having a few sitting around to collect dust or figure a way to get them into the museum with the steamers might just work.   My vision is not to become a collector where some locos and/or cars, sit on a shelf or in a box.   I'd like all of them to be on the layout, even the junk ones that should be trashed. 

trainman203

I remember, in the earliest days of decoders that some would not fit in anything except a dummy unit.