EZ COMMAND PLUS CONTROLLER

Started by jookjoint, June 18, 2023, 07:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jookjoint

I always loved trains since I was a kid... this past Christmas I brought myself a bachmann starter set with the 2 Santa fe locomotives it came with the EZ COMMAND PLUS controller... I set everything up right plug the track in before I connect the power supply... it never worked there's no smell or smoke coming from the controller all lights on the controller works fine no loose parts... I took the tracks apart examined them and put it back together..still the same...do I need a new controller or what..

trainman203

Troubleshooting and isolating problems is part of life with Model Railroading.  You have to test each component independently to find the problem. Unfortunately, to do that you usually need another locomotive that's known to work to test your track. And another layout somewhere that's known to operate properly to try your engine on to see if it works there.  That's not much help if you live in an isolated area.  You can always send the locomotives and/or the EZ Command back to Bachmann to have them tested there.  My interaction with the service department has always been pretty good, so you might give them a call to see what they think and recommend that you do. 

Before you do that, though, you should test the track to see if power is in it. You can use an appropriate test light from the hardware store, a multi meter of some kind, or you can just quickly touch a screwdriver on both rails and see if it sparks. If it sparks, you know the problem is in the engine.  If it doesn't spark,  you can be pretty sure that it's in the terminal rerailer or  the red wire that connects the track to the EZ command, which you've already said lights up and appears to be OK at least that far.  Of course, there could be an internal problem within the EZ command, delivering power to the track.  But that's unlikely. I think you're pretty certain to find the problem by doing what I just outlined.

You'll eventually get it going. I've been model railroading in one form another since the 1950s. It's the most fun you'll ever have. You just need to get over this little hump to get there.

Ralph S

Please let us know what you found out about your train set, that is, the culprit that caused the problem or what you did to resolve it.  Reason: I have the old DCC controllers and was contemplating purchasing the EZ Command Plus.

jookjoint

Quote from: trainman203 on June 18, 2023, 08:39:20 PMTroubleshooting and isolating problems is part of life with Model Railroading.  You have to test each component independently to find the problem. Unfortunately, to do that you usually need another locomotive that's known to work to test your track. And another layout somewhere that's known to operate properly to try your engine on to see if it works there.  That's not much help if you live in an isolated area.  You can always send the locomotives and/or the EZ Command back to Bachmann to have them tested there.  My interaction with the service department has always been pretty good, so you might give them a call to see what they think and recommend that you do. 

Before you do that, though, you should test the track to see if power is in it. You can use an appropriate test light from the hardware store, a multi meter of some kind, or you can just quickly touch a screwdriver on both rails and see if it sparks. If it sparks, you know the problem is in the engine.  If it doesn't spark,  you can be pretty sure that it's in the terminal rerailer or  the red wire that connects the track to the EZ command, which you've already said lights up and appears to be OK at least that far.  Of course, there could be an internal problem within the EZ command, delivering power to the track.  But that's unlikely. I think you're pretty certain to find the problem by doing what I just outlined.

You'll eventually get it going. I've been model railroading in one form another since the 1950s. It's the most fun you'll ever have. You just need to get over this little hump to get there.
Quote from: trainman203 on June 18, 2023, 08:39:20 PMTroubleshooting and isolating problems is part of life with Model Railroading.  You have to test each component independently to find the problem. Unfortunately, to do that you usually need another locomotive that's known to work to test your track. And another layout somewhere that's known to operate properly to try your engine on to see if it works there.  That's not much help if you live in an isolated area.  You can always send the locomotives and/or the EZ Command back to Bachmann to have them tested there.  My interaction with the service department has always been pretty good, so you might give them a call to see what they think and recommend that you do. 

Quote from: jookjoint on June 18, 2023, 07:16:28 PMI always loved trains since I was a kid... this past Christmas I brought myself a bachmann starter set with the 2 Santa fe locomotives it came with the EZ COMMAND PLUS controller... I set everything up right plug the track in before I connect the power supply... it never worked there's no smell or smoke coming from the controller all lights on the controller works fine no loose parts... I took the tracks apart examined them and put it back together..still the same...do I need a new controller or what..
both Trans works very good I tried them on my grandson train set that I brought for him..trains lights up and runs

trainman203

The next thing to do is connect your EZ Command to your grandson's layout to see if it is the problem

jookjoint

Ok I'm back I brought another train set I put both my trains on this set and they work very good with the EZ COMMAND center controller... so when I switched the controllers out the EZ COMMAND plus lights up (every button lights up like it supposed to do) then when I put my trains on the track to run them nothing happens I now know it's the controller can the controller be fixed or shall I shell out for a new one I really like this controller better than the ez command center controller

Len

If you just purchased it, it should still be under warranty.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trainman203

Good job troubleshooting!  It won't be your last time in Model Railroading!  The thing to remember is independent testing of every variable.