Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation Engine (no. 11412) Questions

Started by rstrim695, October 07, 2023, 07:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rstrim695

I just picked up a Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation Engine (no. 11412) but it did not include the instructions with the box. So I am looking for the instructions for the engine and would appreciate any help in locating a copy. I will be using the Bachmann E-Z Command system to operate the engine. Hopefully that system will work with the engine. If the E-Z Command system is not the correct one to use, please someone let me know. Thanks.

trainman203

Your question represents a common misconception in model railroading.

That is a "DCC ready" engine.  That means it is only "ready" for a DCC decoder, it actually can't yet run on DCC from an EZ command or any other operating system because it does not yet have the decoder needed to operate the locomotive. You'll need to install a decoder or have someone do it for you to operate it on DCC.

Unless, of course, you happened to buy a used engine that already has an aftermarket decoder installed.  Which is quite unlikely. 

If it does not have a DCC decoder installed, do NOT put it on track activated by the EZ command.  The power in the track is AC and it will fry the DC motor in the locomotive.  I know, I've already done it.

I believe that it will operate on DC current from a regular power pack though.  Some electrician on this forum will need to provide a more detailed answer.

Terry Toenges

So how is it you can run a DC loco using the #10 button on E-Z Command? I've done it and not fried any motors.
Feel like a Mogul.

trainman203

That I don't know. What I do know is that AC will fry DC motors.

AC means "Alternating current". 60 cycle AC means that, for lack of a better way to say it, current polarity is changing 60 times every second.  Which means that 60 times every second, a DC motor tries to reverse itself, which accounts for the hum you hear when you put a DC engine on an AC track.  I know. I fried a DC Bachmann light mountain trying to find the way I heard someone say once that you could run a DC engine on a DCC track.

Jeffrey Ward I'm certain could give a much better explanation.