News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Smoke generators with DCC

Started by al27, October 24, 2007, 03:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al27

I have been unable to find a steamer with both smoke generator and dcc (with sound).
Can a steamer with a smoke generator be upgraded to DCC?
If the smoke generator bypasses the dcc decoder and runs off straight track voltage will the smoke generator burn out?

Atlantic Central

al27,

Smoke is not a popular feature with most HO modelers. The smoke fluid is oil, the smoke, and the oily residue from the smoke is bad for the track, the trains, the scenery, your lungs, etc, etc.

That is why VERY few HO models come with smoke, DCC or not.

Sheldon

r0bert

MTH K4, BLI Cab Forward, and PCM Big Boy are all IIRC available with DCC, Sound, and Smoke.

SteamGene

Which only proves that MTH, BLI, and PCM can make mistakes.  Consider the number of brass models with a smoke generator....
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

Gene,

Mistakes, they don't make mistakes, the next generatation will need all 25 Big Boys for their layouts and just think of the possiblity of modeling that magical place where the SP, UP and PRR all meet up. The puffing smoke! the clanging bells, the madly beating air pumps! Oh My!

Sorry I just could not resist.

Sheldon

SteamGene

I was about the say Chicago, but I don't think the SP went any further north than St. Louis.  Maybe Oz.  "Somewhere, over a railroad,
Smokey above,
There's a land that I heard of
In whistles that I love. ...

Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

Smoke units will burn out if run dry and may even melt the smoke stack in the process.  Critics may say that that would be the best thing that could happen to the filthy things.  But if you want to try one out, make sure that it either comes with an on/off switch or that you install one or that you run it off one of the auxiliary outputs of the decoder.  Running the smoke generator off a decoder output may require the addition of a relay or a solid state switch to prevent the generator from drawing more current from the decoder output than it is rated for.  Check the decoder rating and the smoke unit draw to see what you have to do.

The big advantage of using a smoke generator with DCC is that you do not have to run the locomotive at full speed in order to apply enough voltage to make smoke.  At full speed, the smoke is often blown away before it can be appreciated.  With DCC, the voltage to the smoke generator is fixed and does not depend on locomotive speed.  So with DCC you can have billowing clouds of the stuff even at low speed.

To smoke or not to smoke is a personal decision, but if you are going to smoke, you might as well smoke in style.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

al27

Thanks to all those who responded about the smoke generators. I am going with the MTH K4 and I hope it will work out. I also may try to install a DCC with sound module myself in a new steamer which already has the smoke generator.

James Hail

On a decoder use the function outputs to operate a relay..Hook track juice up to smoke unit through relay contacts and you might need a resistor cause it will smoke you out! Jim
Currently landscaping and ballasting a 4x10 HO.....using a NCE DCC PowerCab and Having a Blast.[move]

Stephen D. Richards

Also, the Athearn Genesis Big Boy, Challenger and the FEF have places to install Sleuth #10 smoke generators.  I have two of those models and the work very nicely.  Stephen