News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Speed Matching

Started by JonJet, April 21, 2024, 07:11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

Not really. The info given in the example was standard given to the dispatcher. The consist part referred specifically to the locomotives on the head end. If they were not running, they were "dead in consist" as opposed to "dead in train" which referred to a locomotive being moved in the train, but not on the head end The difference was crucial. DIC locomotives could conceivably be restarted if the need for more power arose, and controlled from the leader. DIT locomotives were pretty much useless, and were just along for the ride. Other than their extreme weight, DIT locomotives were just another car in the train. There were also union agreements where engineers were paid by the total weight of the locomotive. I'm pretty sure that included all locomotives MUed together, regardless of whether they were running or not, since they could be restarted if necessary. Perhaps the longer term power consist should be used, which was another term I heard often.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

A murky term that's become more so in recent times.

Ralph S

Let me get this straight, consisting involves two or more locomotives on the same train with many train cars.  Consisting two or more locomotives on the same train with the locomotives placed in different locations of the train is also considered "consisting".   That is, one locomotive at the front, then another locomotive could be located in the middle, or at the back end of the train.  This is also considered consisting.  Is that correct, cause Wikipedia doesn't distinguish the locomotives.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train#Terminology

Then when I run my dummy locomotives behind my powered locomotives, the dummy locomotives are called DIC (dead in consist)?

jward

Quote from: Ralph S on May 10, 2024, 04:26:42 PMLet me get this straight, consisting involves two or more locomotives on the same train with many train cars.  Consisting two or more locomotives on the same train with the locomotives placed in different locations of the train is also considered "consisting".   That is, one locomotive at the front, then another locomotive could be located in the middle, or at the back end of the train.  This is also considered consisting.  Is that correct, cause Wikipedia doesn't distinguish the locomotives.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train#Terminology

Then when I run my dummy locomotives behind my powered locomotives, the dummy locomotives are called DIC (dead in consist)?

This would depend on the configuration of the locomotives. If the ones in the middle are remote controlled by the engineer at the front of the train they are part of the consist. This is the equivalent of a DCC consist. If, as was historically far more common, the ones in the middle or on the rear of the train had their own crew they are helper locomotives and not part of the consist. This is the DCC equivalent of having both locomotives contolled seperately. And yes, those dummies are DIC.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

"Consist" joins the list of bygone Railroading terms that includes the term "switch" that have changed meaning in recent times. 

Or disappeared, like "bindle stiff," "ashcat", "ballast scorcher", "hogger," and such.