News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Freight car prototypes

Started by RRPETE, January 05, 2008, 09:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRPETE

Where can I find information on the Bachmann On30 freight car prototypes?

Thanks.

japasha

The original series of Frieght cars was based on the Ohio River and Western Railroad. These cars have vacuum brake cylinders on them and appear to be typical cars from that railroad rather than specific cars. The same is true of the passenger cars which are representitive rather than a specific prototype. Both types of cars are foreshortened to be able to use 18 inch radius track. Bachmann's designers did an excellent job of engineering to ensure that the cars would stay on the track.
The Carsten's publication "Narrow Gauge Cars" has plans for similar cars. There is also a book "Ohio River and Western" on the railroad itself. It had Brooks moguls similar to the generic one sold by Bachmann.  The set locomotive, #22, is based on an actual prototype that ran on the Colorado and Southern narrow gauge and was scrapped in 1929.

Ned

Another nice book on the OR&W is "Hidden Treasures - The Story of the Ohio River & Western Railway" by Edward H. Cass.

Ned

az2rail

I was going to start a new tread, to ask this guestion, but maybe this is a good place. Are the brewery billboard reefers prototypical? I see some pretty new dates on the logos, 1997, 2000. Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

japasha

Bruce,

Billboard reefers were part of the turn of the 20th century to the mid 1930s. What Bachmann is producing are in the spirit of the old reefers rather than accurate. There's a couple of books on the subject with authentic billboard cars. You might even do the artwork for a tongue and cheek version of your own.

I have a couple lettered for Devil's Gulch and Helengone Railroad which was John Allen's narrow gauge on the Gorre and Daphetid Rail Road. This is the fun part of it all. I have some ore cars lettered for teh It's Minemine company.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
The Brew Pub cars use logos supplied by extant Micro Breweries. They have been done on a handshake between me and the brewery owner, and are, in fact, in the spirit of the classic billboard reefers.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

az2rail

At first I thought they might be prototypical because I know that billboard reefers are. But I bought some the other day, and noticed the dates on them. No proplem here, though. I like them. Matter of fact, I orderd 3 more this morning.
Perhaps I should see if some of the local Micro brewery's would like some cars made. I am all for the micro brewery.
THANKS for the input. Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Ned

The Bach-man writes:

"They have been done on a handshake between me and the brewery owner."

How refreshing to read! I hope there are more to come and all parties gain from these relationships.

Ned

Woody Elmore

I hope the Bachmann got more than a handshake. When I was in college one of the classmates worked part time in a local brewery. He was a very popular guy.

Modeling a brewery? Here's a detail you might miss. The Old Schaefer Brewery in Brooklyn was right on the East River. When bottles weren't filled to capacity or were over capacity they weren't sold. The bottles were broken and the beer poured into the East River via a big pipe. A very sad sight!