News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Warped Plastic Models

Started by Dave T, January 15, 2008, 09:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave T

I am putting together some plastic model structures. Some of the walls are warped. Can a hair dryer or heat gun true them up?
Thanks Guys!
Dave T

SteamGene

They can.  It's not necessarily easy.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

EJELen

I have had success using a hair dryer to heat the item, while it is clamped to a hard, flat surface and allowed to cool. Don't use metal clamps, as they heat up too much and might dent the surface. I picked up some plastic clamps at Menards. Clothes pins also work well. Heat guns may also be too much heat for the plastic.

Good Luck....

Len

Frankford el car

I've had some success with a lowtech alternative. If you are dealing with a flat panel such as a wall section, place it face down on a hard surface, such as a concrete basement floor, but on top of a sheet of newspaper, to protect the features. Place another layer of newspaper on top of the panel, then a heavy weight, such as a cinderblock, on top of it all. Let it set for a day or two. This may not take the warp out of the panel permanently, but it might long enough to allow you to cement it in place, and the cement to harden, before the warpage tries to reappear. By then, the completed structure should hold all flat angles in their intended positions.
Chief Superintendent,

Independent Transit Co. (INT Lines)

"Have your transfer ready, for the next stop."