Bachmann Spectrum 4-8-2 Light Mountain HELP!!!

Started by gkentzell, January 17, 2008, 01:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gkentzell

Hi
I have a question I just received a Bachmann Spectrum 4-8-2 Light Mountain and it looks new but when I run it  the wheels wobble and the loco shakes it also tends to stall out going over turnouts. I did not buy this new I bought it used but looking at it you could never tell.
I also have a Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation and it runs flawless and the pulling power is outstanding and none of the problems mentioned above. My question is: Is there an adjustment I can do or should I send it in to Bachmann for repair or is this normal for this loco. I would prefer not to use it as a static display. I called Bachmann but it seams they are to busy to talk to me or return my phone calls.

Thank You

brokemoto

There is more than one possibility for the wobble:

1.  (simplest) The cover plate is too tight.  Loosen the screws one-eighth turn.

2.  The drivers are out of quarter

3.  Something is wrong with the rods/valve gear.

Less likeley possibilities are that the axle(s) is (are) bent or  gears have something wrong.

The problem with the pulling power is that the tyred driver fails to make proper contact with the rails.  Putting a shim in the bearing block journal addresses this.

The poor electrical contact is something common on the first three SPECTRUM steam engines.  The stiff wires in the drawbar do not make proper contact with the posts on the locomotive.  Remove the tender, bend in the ends of the stiff wires, while you take care not to make the other ends pop out where they make contact with the posts on the tender trucks.  Re-affix the tender and your stalling problems  should disappear.

If you can not remedy the rough running, you will have ot send this one back to B-mann.

The heavy mountain, in contrast, has no problems.  An excellent locomotive, the heavy moutain.

daniel_leavitt2000

I would use Bachmann's excellent return policy on this one. Unless you are used to taking apart steam, it can get complicated very quick. Let the experts do it.

jring528

I own a new light mountain and have the same type of problem.Since it was brand new I sent it tp Bachmann for repair.They tell me 6-8 weeks. This was my first purchase of a Bachmann product and  I will wait and see what happens with the repair before making another.I am not optimistic.

jring528

I recieved a new replacement for my lt. mountain yesterday. It runs and looks fine. Took 5 weeks.